Author Topic: Hello from Western South Carolina  (Read 1420 times)

dickdeuel

Hello from Western South Carolina
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:13:45 PM »
I must say I have been spending a lot of time on this forum since I found it a few months ago.  The information and knowledge I find here is very valuable.

Retirement last October gave me time to start this interesting hobby.  I have been collecting equipment and cultures since then and guess that will never end.  My next purchase will be a ph meter.  Luckily I have a small dairy 10 minutes away that has cream-line milk.  So far I have made yogurt, cottage cheese, mozzarella, (2) farmsteads, (3) cheese curds, (2) asiagos, colby, gouda, and brick.

I may not participate much is the forum for a while, but I sure will be here reading everything.

Richard

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Hello from Western South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
Welcome Richard and read away!!  That's one of the reasons it's here.  Should you decide to take part, at any point, your views and contributions will be welcome!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:16:31 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »
I always go along with Al's greeting :)----so ditto Al and welcome.
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:16 PM »
A warm welcome from me too! :-)

Kern

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:53:24 AM »
A hearty welcome from me too.  Don't be shy about asking questions or commenting if that's what you mean by "participating".  We're all (well, mostly all) cheese freaks trying to bootstrap our knowledge to higher levels.  So, jump in anytime!   ^-^

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 02:19:39 AM »
Hi - hope you stay... We would like to hear of your experiences.  Every little bit helps :)

A nice southerly aspect S.C has... almost 'Downunder' :).  Welcome

-- Mal  8)
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »
Hi Richard.  You made my day as we share a lot in common.  We're down in Hartsville but have two sons and three grandkids in Greenville (near Taylors).  I'm retired too and got into cheese making right before and haven't looked back.  What creamery do you get your milk from?  I can get Hickory Hill's creamline locally for a really good price but their dairy is in Edgefield which is a good bit southwest of you.  Are you a fan of Clemson Blue?  I just bought some to harvest PR for a blue (and to eat). 

Good to be able to talk cheese with a fellow sandlapper :)!

dickdeuel

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »
John,

I get my milk from Happy Cow Creamery.  They are only a 10 minute drive for me in southern Greenville County and at only $4.50 a gallon I am very happy with the results.  I have looked at The Clemson Blue on line, but thought it was a little pricey.  Some day when I am there I get some to try.

John@PC

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »
We do have some Happy Cow available down here at Ovis Farms in Lamar but the Hickory Hill milk is much closer and only $.25 more.  As for Clemson Blue I once was a big fan but (1) the last one I bought didn't impress (in fact I enjoyed my last blue more even though it's young) and (2) I emailed the Clemson Blue Cheese group several times for a contact name but never heard back  >:(.  You would think that after sending them $50K or so they would respond (ok, that was for my son's tuition, but still.. ::)).