Author Topic: Presses?  (Read 3714 times)

cindybman

Presses?
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »
From a recommendation, I purchased two CheesyPresses (http://schmidling.com/press.htm).  I am not affiliated, in any way, with this company.

I purchased one 2-gallon press and one 5-gallon press.  These presses do not need moulds.  The cheese is pressed within the cylinders; the cylinders supposedly allow for easy flipping -- the cheese "slides" from one end to the other.  I have not used either press yet as I haven't made any pressed cheeses.

Do you think I need to purchase a traditional press?  Did I get in over my head before I even started?

When I was putting together my cheese making room, I purchased *everything* from the lists in Mary Karlin's book (Artisan Cheesemaking At Home).  I kid you not, e v e r y t h i n g.  :)  Equipment, moulds, ingredients, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! Cindy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Presses?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »
You go for it !!! No wrong answers here .. You only learn by doing.  Maybe you can give us a step by step instruction (photos would be wonderful) of your adventures.  Secretly, or not, we are all gadget freaks and love it when someone has new toys to show off.  :)  me included.  Now this is personal preference only - again there is certainly no absolutes here - I like the Traditional presses where the weight stays constant and use a design from one of our members.
1. smolt1's foldable sturdt press i call SMOLT MKII
 http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13898.0.html
or a standard Dutch Press
2. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8832.0;attach=15805;image

There are some wonderful screw and spring compensated, pnematic and hyrdaulic presses as well.  I started with one from here with a 22kg (approx 50 Lb) spring
http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/cheese_hardware_cheese_press.html

Let us know how you go !!

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Kern

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:42:17 AM »
Cindy

Those presses will work just fine.  Remember one thing though:  They are spring presses.  This means that as the curd compresses the pressure decreases so you may have to give the handle a turn now and then to keep the pressure up.  Outside of a pneumatic or hydraulic press or pure weight on the follower plate the only mechanical press that provides a constant force on the curd is the Dutch style press.  (Lever arm with weight on the end).

The tube itself acts as a mold.  It looks like schedule 80 PVC pipe.  Indeed, the diagram confirms that it is 4-inch pipe.  I don't see any holes in it for drainage.  It would be a simple thing to pick up some pipe from Lowes or HD and make molds of various lengths.  All sorts of springs can be bought through the Internet so you could probably adapt this press for 6-inch pipe and get good results with a beefier spring.

I have not used this press.  If you did a search for it on the forum I'm sure that you might find opinions on it.

Kern

PS:  I just converted a $500 new Whirlpool upright freezer (15.7 cubic feet) into a nifty cave using the Perfect Cheese controllers.  I didn't want the wires going through the door seal so located a spot in the back to drill a hole and install a 1.25-inch PVC pipe section.  All the wires go through there.  It is running now and holding 54 +/- 1F with an RH of 85%.  The garage temperature is only about 60F so the refrigeration only runs a couple of times per hour for a minute or two at a time.  Let me know if you want construction details.  :D   

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:15:36 AM »
Kern I find that with the RH here in Washington mine runs right at 85% RH also.  Loving not having to do anything to adjust that. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

cindybman

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 02:31:11 AM »
Thanks Kern!  I really appreciate the information regarding the spring and needing to loosen and retighten during pressing. I honestly never would have thought of that.

cindybman

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 02:33:48 AM »
Mal,  once again, thank you for the information and links!  I think I will make a picture diary of the first time I use the press (and maybe the last time  :) )

Thanks!

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »
Do you think I need to purchase a traditional press?  Did I get in over my head before I even started?
If you're like the rest of us explorers in the realm of cheese making my advice would be no and no.  I agree with Kern's evaluation and the presses you got will do what you want but may take a little more attention.  On the second question "Join the crowd ;)".  When I first got hooked on cheese making I went crazy getting stuff from Rikki's Cheesemaking.com.   I guess that's the natural reaction when you get interested in a hobby.  You will end up with stuff you don't use, stuff you use occasionally, and stuff you can't do without when you make cheese.  Like Luke Skywalker said, "Trust the Forum" ;D ;D.

cindybman

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 12:45:50 AM »
John,  Thanks!  I did go all-out-nuts on getting *everything* I needed... I'm a spazz that way. Neurotic is what my husband calls it. :)

I decided to make an Alpine Style Tomme so I can you press right away.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 01:08:03 AM »
John,  Thanks!  I did go all-out-nuts on getting *everything* I needed... I'm a spazz that way. Neurotic is what my husband calls it. :)
  So that's what I am! LOL. I do the same thing every time. LOL

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 05:50:52 AM »
And what's wrong with that ??  Can't fix a car with just a spanner, you gotta have to whole Garage - You Go Girl !!
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

John@PC

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »
I snuck a cheese in for you Cindy in anticipation of more wonderful posts and the soon-to-come cheeses.  With your enthusiasm I predict 2 yrs. 1 yr from now you will be the "go-to guru" for new forum members ;).

cindybman

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 01:54:51 AM »
Ozzie! John!

John! You gave me a cheese! Yay!

You know, I didn't know about the cheeses... so after I had posted about making my cottage cheese, a couple visits later I noticed I had one cheese.  I kid you not, I thought, "Wow! There is a moderator here keeping track of the cheeses everyone makes!"  Drrrrrrrr.  So, here I thought people's number of cheeses were actually the number of cheese they have made... so, in my eyes, some of you are really, really, REALLY into cheese making! :)

Thanks for you vote of trust in my future abilities. No pressure there. Nope. :)

Ozzie! Thanks for your enthusiasm.  Or, as my Grandpa would have said, "En-tewzee-azm"  I did order a new press last night.  I have a screw/crank I purchased from a strong recommendation from an author of one of my books.  For a beginner, it stunk.  And not like good cheese. :)  It was difficult to tell when I was starting to compress the spring, so it was difficult to know when I was to start counting cranks for pressure (2 turns = 10 lbs, 4 turns = 20lbs, etc.).  So, after I redressed and flipped for the 4th time, I sat down, opened my laptop and ordered a traditional press. :)  Haven't told my husband yet. :)    (Actually, he's cool. He gets it, thank goodness.)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 05:51:21 AM »
My wife is the same - she is a professional cake decorator and I always get.. 'Oh honey did I tell I bought a thingy to make crinkles and stuff ?" - So, I understand :).  Don't worry it will escalate.  First it will be your own special freezer space for the accumulating cultures and then all the different cheese forms for the various sorts, fancy cheese triers and knives your own special milk and woe to anyone who thinks to drink it  >:(. Your milk habit increases  and you start haunting your local store at 4.00 am when the milk comes in so you can get it first and Fresh.  Weekends are for cheesemaking and work is just empty space between one cheese and the next. And, then, a separate fridge - just for cheese and then an aging space with custom Temperature and humidity control - John sells them BTW :) (the controllers not fridges)- and before long you are secretly harbouring thoughts of cows and goats of your own with a place to make and sell cheese. 

-- Mal

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »
Have a cheese from me for perseverance!  I'm sure you'll be knocking out great cheeses left and right now! ;)

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 02:17:20 PM »
My wife is the same - she is a professional cake decorator and I always get.. 'Oh honey did I tell I bought a thingy to make crinkles and stuff ?"

Isn't that the truth! My wife does baking, knitting, and silversmithing and I never complain about decorating, equipment nor yarn. I know she's serious about all and good quality materials and tools make a difference. But I admit that she reciprocates with my cheesemaking and blacksmithing (though she's also a blacksmith so there's probably some self serving in that one :) ) and doesn't complain about presses forms and cultures. 

...and before long you are secretly harbouring thoughts of cows and goats of your own with a place to make and sell cheese.

Actually my wife an I have been discussing sheep. Wool for her, milk for me!