Author Topic: Working on a new cheddar.  (Read 4297 times)

MAK

Re: Working on a new cheddar.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »
I wanted to share with you a picture of the cheese bandaged wrapped.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 08:05:43 PM »
Very nice!!! :-)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 05:13:11 AM »
Hey MAK !  How many layers ?  I'm a 3 layer type of guy.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 06:17:59 AM »
Very nice. Have another cheese from me.

Shane

MAK

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 02:06:34 AM »
Hey MAK !  How many layers ?  I'm a 3 layer type of guy.

Ozzie,

I used two layers.  But I'm going to try something different on my next one. 

What I have done in the past is cut 4 circles of cheese cloth that is 1" larger then my cheese.  I then cut 2 strips that are 1"  taller then the sides of my cheese.  I start with the top and bottom.  I dip a circle in melted lard and place it on the top, working it out from the center.  I make sure that the whole cloth is in contact with the cheese (no bubbles).  I make sure the edges are smoothed out over the sides.  I do the same for the bottom.   I then do the sides basically doing the same as the top, working from center up and down around the cheese.  I smooth the edges over lapping the top and bottom.  Then I repeat adding a second layer.

What I will do different next time is add two extra layers both top and bottom and sides but cut them 1" smaller then the actual cheese.  This is to compensate the over lapped edges which is 4 layers thick.  I hope it will make the the finish cheese look smoother and add extra protection.

I show you pics of my next one finished.

Dave

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 03:31:39 AM »
Dave.. Have cheese on me... I love using lard on the cheese it really does keep the rind moist and you don't waste any of it..  Well Done.  I Make the top and bottom discs like yours and the side strip is the same size, or just a little smaller.  That's only for cosmetics at that stage.  The bit I like using the cloth is that is still allows the cheese to breathe and compared to a waxed cheddar, I find there is a more complex flavour.  Or, maybe I'm talking myself into it :)

Either way 'tis gooood !

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

MAK

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 07:13:41 AM »
Dave.. Have cheese on me... I love using lard on the cheese it really does keep the rind moist and you don't waste any of it..  Well Done.  I Make the top and bottom discs like yours and the side strip is the same size, or just a little smaller.  That's only for cosmetics at that stage.  The bit I like using the cloth is that is still allows the cheese to breathe and compared to a waxed cheddar, I find there is a more complex flavour.  Or, maybe I'm talking myself into it :)

Either way 'tis gooood !

-- Mal

I agree 100%.  It does give the cheese a much more complex flavor.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 06:10:40 PM »
Great job!  I'm assuming you still store these in your cave.  I've read Mal's process for doing this and was really impressed. Seems like a great method for long term storage. Question, does the outside harden with the lard as it cools off? AC4U for your wrapping skills!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 01:29:55 AM »
@Al,  The lard semi solidifies at the lower temperature, but bring it out to room temp and it starts to get squishy.  It will actually start liquefying if you hold it.  But this property is what makes it so much fun to work with.. easy to spread ..

-- Mal

MAK

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 03:31:35 AM »
@Al,  The lard semi solidifies at the lower temperature, but bring it out to room temp and it starts to get squishy.  It will actually start liquefying if you hold it.  But this property is what makes it so much fun to work with.. easy to spread ..

-- Mal

I have never had that happen.  You might be putting to much lard.  My cheese typically becomes dry to the touch over time.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 06:53:38 AM »
Ah .... The more lard the better. I'm very liberal !!