Author Topic: Saffron Infused Manchego Viejo  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Saffron Infused Manchego Viejo
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:01:18 AM »
I decided to make a Saffron infused Manchego, I have never tried one but I like cheese and I like Saffron, so why not!

There are four types of Manchego and these are: (From Wikipedia)

Fresco – the fresh cheese is aged for only 2 weeks, with a rich but mild flavour. Produced in small quantities, it is rarely found outside Spain.
    Semicurado is a semi-firm cheese aged for three weeks to three months, somewhat milder than curado.
    Curado is a semi-firm cheese aged for three to six months with a sweet and nutty flavor.
    Viejo, aged for one to two years is firm with a sharper flavour the longer it is aged and a rich deep pepperiness to it.

I made mine about 18 months ago and I am down to my last 1/8th of the wheel. It was about 1.1 kg when I made it and I was disappointed by the flavours when it was young.
Today is a totally different story - it has a flavour reminiscent of a soft blue with the bite of a sharp cheddar accentuated by the lipase and Saffron. (I used a mix of Goat and Cow milk since I couldn't find any Ewe's milk and I used Spanish Saffron which I found at my local Indian Deli)

The make.
8 liters/2 US gallon 2% Cow’s Milk.
4 litres/1 US gallon Goats Milk.
Calcium Chloride as per packet instructions.   
Meso/thermo culture (I used MA4001) as per packet instructions.      
Lipase Powder 2/3 amount of packet instructions. (Since I am using 1/3 Goats Milk)
1/4 tsp Saffron threads dissolved in 50 ml (1/4 cup) warm milk   
Rennet diluted in 50 ml (1/4 cup) water, as per packet instructions.   
Salt for brine.   
Olive oil, Coconut oil, wax or vacuum bag for aging.   

Directions   

8:00   Warm milk to 30 C (86 F).
   Dissolve the saffron in ~50ml (1/4 cup) warm milk and let sit for ten minutes to infuse then stir in.   
   Dissolve the calcium chloride in ~50 ml (1/4 cup) water, stir in.   
   Dissolve the culture in ~50 ml (1/4 cup) water and stir in.
   Cover and set aside to ripen for 45 minutes.   
   Dissolve the lipase powder in ~50 ml (1/4 cup) water, let stand for 20 minutes, then add to milk and stir gently for 1 minute.   
8:45   Mix the rennet in ~50 ml (1/4 cup) water, add to milk and stir gently for 1 minute, cover and let rest at 30 C (86 F).   
9:27   Floc time 15 minutes so cut curds to 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes after ~45 min and let it sit to heal for 5 minutes.   
9:32   Cut the curds into rice-size pieces by stirring with a whisk.   
10:12   Gently heat the curds to 40 C (104 F) at a rate of ~1 C (2 F) every five minutes, this will take ~45 minutes, stir occasionally & gently with ladle while heating to keep curds from matting.   
   Let the curds settle for 5 minutes, then pour off excess whey.   
   Moisten cheesecloth large enough to double line your mold/hoop. Hand wring dryish then double line the mold/hoop.   
10:27   Ladle curds into the mold/hoop, and press at light ~8 kg (17.5 lb) pressure for 15 minutes.   
10:42   Remove the cheese from the press, flip and replace and press at ~8 kg (17.5 lb) pressure again for 15 minutes   
10:57   Flip and press for 15 minutes a 3rd time.   
11:13   Press with ~17 kg (37.5 lbs) for 6 hours.   
16:57   Unwrap and brine the cheese in a saturated brine solution for 6 hours at 10-12 C (50-55 F), turn every 1-2 hours to ensure even rind development.   
22:57   Remove cheese, pat dry, place on mat and age at 10-12 C (50-55 F) and ~80-85% humidity cave for ~1 week, turning daily.

When surface is dry you can rub with oil, coat with wax or seal in vacuum bag and place in cave to age.
         I coated mine with olive oil and vacuum bagged after six months.

After eighteen months the finished product is slightly crumbly but can also be sliced thinly very easily:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:21:36 AM by Schnecken Slayer »
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

bratrules1

Re: Saffron Infused Manchego Viejo
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 06:01:41 AM »
Looks great!!! good job.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:34:28 PM »
Looks great Bill.  I wanted to make one of these but apparently the container containing the Manchego molds for the Cheese Connection went mysteriously missing during the dock workers strike.  According to the owner about $45,000.00 in molds.  May have to bite the bullet and just use a regular mold.  I noticed the recipe you used doesn't call for rind development outside of the cave.  Did you get a rind to develop in the cave?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:04:12 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 06:35:21 AM »
There is a rind but not very thick and it softened after vac packing, I think it sucked the moisture back to the outside of the cheese.
Looking at a commercial Manchego the rind is at least three times as thick. I may have to look around at some other recipes to compare what they do.
-Bill

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »
A cheese for your patience Bill!  Your description of progressions of flavor when vacuum bagging is something I'm coming to appreciate more and more.  It amazes me that the cheese in such an environment would "mature with grace" but I'm a believer now.   Good job :).

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »
Thanks for the cheese John.
I still prefer to see a wheel covered in wax, it looks like a "real" cheese! However I cannot deny the ease of vacuum bagging, especially for a cut cheese.
-Bill

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »
Bill, the ones I have looked at on the web all had a very dark rind.  Is that normal for these or is it something they added to pretect it?  It looked too thin to be wax.

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »
Bill, the ones I have looked at on the web all had a very dark rind.  Is that normal for these or is it something they added to pretect it?  It looked too thin to be wax.

It looks like they rubbed something on.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 07:02:37 PM »
They might rub it with olive oil and paprika, I don't know if this would add flavour or just accentuate the markings on the mold.
I guess the only way to tell would be to make two and coat one with paprika.  O0

Edit: I found this, no mention of paprika.
During the maturation process, manchego cheese develops a natural rind. The regulations permit this to be washed, coated in paraffin, dipped in olive oil, or treated with certain approved transparent substances, but require that it must not be removed if the cheese is to be marketed as PDO.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:16:03 PM by Schnecken Slayer »
-Bill

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »
Most likely olive oil with cocoa and/or black pepper?  In fact if you have Caldwell's book it shows one on the cover.  She discusses it in Chapter 4 with a whole lot of other good stuff on "The Art of Affinage".

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 05:46:25 PM »
I recently bought a Manchego and I really felt like it had been waxed (just a very thin layer),

:-) Danbo

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 07:31:18 PM »
Most likely olive oil with cocoa and/or black pepper?  In fact if you have Caldwell's book it shows one on the cover.  She discusses it in Chapter 4 with a whole lot of other good stuff on "The Art of Affinage".

I do have it on my Kindle and saw that but she doesn't go into what it was. >:(

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »
Bill, do you think this would work with 100% goats milk?

Stinky

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »

You'd want to modify the recipe a bit, I'm sure, but you definitely can make more or less the same cheese.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 06:24:18 PM »

You're a mind reader AL, I was thinking of doing that this weekend.
I started thinking about it after I purchased a small piece of Manchego, about 30 grams, and it cost me $15.00!  :o
Also, I was going to leave out the lipase as I am not sure how much difference there is between goat and sheep milk, I only added it last time as I used half cows milk to cut down the cost.
Goat milk here is $5.00 per Litre compared to quality cows milk of $5.00 per 3 litres.

Did you get your mold eventually after the mix-up with the docker's strike?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:29:24 PM by Schnecken Slayer »
-Bill