Author Topic: Saffron Infused Manchego Viejo  (Read 7609 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Saffron Infused Manchego Viejo
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
I actually had a co-worker give me one for Christmas.  I have access to goats milk from Trader Joes here and was thinking about using 3 gallons of that with a pint or two of heavy whipping cream.  I figured that would make it rich.  Haven't decided about the lipase.  I have both mild and strong in the freezer but don't think I really need it.  Also thought I might paint it with olive oil and cocoa.  They say that will protect the rind and I have a very large blue in the cave right now.

Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »
Al, any information on sizes and costs of the goat's milk from Trader Joes?

Kern

ksk2175

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 08:41:56 PM »
One of my favorite breakfasts .... Wheat toast with a slice of tomato and El Trigal Manchego on top melted with a toaster oven then topped with a fried egg.  Delicious.  Now you've got me thinking how the saffron would add to that flavor profile...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 08:49:17 PM »

Kern

I bought it once before and I believe it was about $7.00 a gallon.  I'll let you know what I pay for it tomorrow though.

Stinky

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 10:52:40 PM »
I don't think you'd necessarily really need cream... it'd negate some of the flavor from the goat's milk, and the milk should be just fine for the cheese anyway.

re:lipase it's generally mostly useful or applicable in Asiago or the very Italian cheeses. However, since the powdered stuff is way stronger than that naturally found in milk, it'll tear into the fat globules too much. Besides, again with the goat milk naturally having more flavor I'd suggest doing your first make without and then deciding if you want to add lipase based off that.
I think my local TJ's only has UP goat's milk.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 02:08:17 AM »

Kern

Around Seattle the last time I bought it was around $3.50 per quart.

I have made a couple Manchego style with Nigerian Dwarf goat's milk, one with saffron. Both were really delicious. One I aged for 5 months, the one with saffron was 4 months. I did 2 gal. makes. For the saffron one I used 1/8 tsp and was perfect for my taste.

Susan

Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »
Thanks for the info Susan.  I'll give you guys an update on want I have to pay for it tomorrow.  Should be an interesting make.  This will be the second one I did using saffron.  Did you guys use the whole threads or crush them with a mortar and pestle?

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »
I soaked the whole threads in 3 Tbsp very warm milk when the culture was added and then poured them in just before adding the rennet.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 06:41:59 PM »
I soaked the whole threads in 3 Tbsp very warm milk when the culture was added and then poured them in just before adding the rennet.

Thanks for the info.  I would like to get the most out of them as far as color and flavor.  The color doesn't seem to do much apart from right around the threads.  Don't think there's anything I can do about that though.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 02:05:18 AM »
I crushed 1/8 tsp saffron and boiled in 1/4 cup water, then cooled and added to milk.

Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 03:09:05 AM »
I crushed 1/8 tsp saffron and boiled in 1/4 cup water, then cooled and added to milk.

Susan

Did you find it gave you more color or flavor? :)

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 04:55:37 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I would like to get the most out of them as far as color and flavor.  The color doesn't seem to do much apart from right around the threads.  Don't think there's anything I can do about that though.

I actually liked the way the colour bleeds around the thread into the cheese. But hey, that's just me.  O0

If you wanted to you could put the saffron in the hot milk or water and, when it starts to cool, whack it in the fridge overnight.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:16:53 AM by Schnecken Slayer »
-Bill

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
Okay, I just put a small amount of PH 2% milk in a glass bowl and microwaved it for 30 seconds.  It got hot.  I then stirred in 1/8 tsp of whole threads and 1/8 tsp of grounds threads.  It looks to be getting pretty yellow.  I seriously doubt it will color three gallons of milk but we'll see how it looks when I put it into the milk later today. :o
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:19:37 PM by Al Lewis »

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2016, 02:20:27 AM »

My goal was to disperse the color more evenly as opposed to having it just bleed around the threads and also have just a hint of the saffron flavor since saffron can be overpowering. In general was successful with my goals. When I get home will post a picture of the saffron infused one. As far as flavor the saffron gave just a little bit of kind of a complex/floral note to the cheese which I really liked.

Susan

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 03:38:36 AM »

My goal was to disperse the color more evenly as opposed to having it just bleed around the threads and also have just a hint of the saffron flavor since saffron can be overpowering. In general was successful with my goals. When I get home will post a picture of the saffron infused one. As far as flavor the saffron gave just a little bit of kind of a complex/floral note to the cheese which I really liked.

Susan

It is definitely hard to fully describe the flavour of the saffron infused cheese.
It's there but melds with the other cheese and lipase aromas to make a very complex experience.
-Bill