Author Topic: My 6th Gouda  (Read 8093 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: My 6th Gouda
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 01:33:10 AM »
I've been making a few cheeses when I can, but forgoing posting as some of it may be seen as repetitious.  :-\

Wait -- repetition is bad?? :)

C'mon, tell us and show us again -- some of us (me) probably didn't see it the first time, and still have so much to learn!

Yep!!! Can be.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »
Thanks for the cheese!

John, I know most people recommend pressing gouda under whey, and to get the best knit I've seen someone say that it is best not to let the curds come out of the whey - just scoop them into the mould while still in the whey, and press, keeping them submerged the whole time.  This is primarily to prevent any mechanical openings.  However, I have to press by stacking weights, and putting metal weights on top of curds that may allow the weights to get into the whey, and then contaminate the cheese pretty much has me forgoing aesthetics.  Pressing in the pot is Sailor's trick, and applies to any type of cheese - is especially useful for cheddar though, but works well with gouda too (apparently, as this one turned out really nicely).  Basically, put hot water in your sink, put the curds in cheesecloth lined mould, put the mould in a pot, put the pot in the water in the sink ... in the sink ... in the sink ... put the pot in the water in the sink!  (for those who know the song "there's a hole in the bottom of the sea", you can all thank me now for the ear worm).  Anyway, cover the cheese and weights with a clean towel to help keep heat and moisture in the microclimate you're creating in the pot.  The water keeps the pot warm, which really aids in getting a good knit.

Boofer, repetition is good for many reasons.  First, if a protocol repeats well, then posting the protocol, then the results at the end and noting that "this is a successful replication of my previous 2 or 3 makes using this protocol" gives us all an idea of a stable make procedure. Also, it saves people from having to search around for the details, which can be hard to find - especially since it is highly unlikely that the make went exactly the same way each time.  It's the little changes that are good for everyone to see.  So, post your repeats without shame or concern. 

- Jeff

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 02:14:24 AM »
@Jeff - You had me there haha! I really thought I had a lost cause. I've just opened my last Caerphilly and the Gouda will be next on the block.  I should have the photo sof it up soon.

--Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:15 AM »
:)

John@PC

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »
John, I know most people recommend pressing gouda under whey, and to get the best knit I've seen someone say that it is best not to let the curds come out of the whey - just scoop them into the mould while still in the whey, and press, keeping them submerged the whole time. 
That was my point.  I've done the drain / transfer / press in pot method before but once I switched to anonymous's method of pressing (or maybe it's more correctly called pitching using pressure to consolidate ???) for washed-curd cheeses I've had great results.  Once it consolidates in the pan I cut or break the curd mass apart and stuff it into the mold and press as normal.  I've done a couple of cheeses like this in the last month - just slow in posting  ::).

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 11:09:44 PM »
Not sure I'm getting all of this method John.  Exactly what do you do?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

John@PC

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 09:36:39 PM »
Not sure I'm getting all of this method John.  Exactly what do you do?
Before transferring the curds to the mold I drain whey to level of curds and lay a plastic mat cut the size of the pan inside and press down by hand gently for about 5 min. to consolidate the curds.  A better method that anonymous uses is a draining tray or other more rigid object onto which you can place some weight to get a better press.  I should have some time tomorrow to post some pictures of the last one I did using this method.

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 05:44:21 AM »
Cut into this yesterday.  This is the 2nd time I've had Gouda with lots of holes.  The taste is fine though, so I'm not sure if it is late blowing (which causes a bitter flavour) or just the buttermilk starter (though I've used it in Gouda's that have not produced gass and holes).  So, while it's an edible cheese, I'm not happy about my gouda's swelling up so much.  Sigh.

- Jeff

LoftyNotions

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »
Well that blows!  >:D  At least it's edible. ;) AC4 the effort.

Larry

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 10:15:34 PM »
Looks great, Jeff.  Interesting eye development. Are you sure you didn't make an Alpine? ;)

To soothe your disappointment, have a cheese.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Kern

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 12:49:31 AM »
Jeff, it doesn't look like any pictures of late blowing that I've seen.  In fact it looks pretty good so have a cheese on me.

Kern

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 01:19:05 AM »
Thanks for the cheeses all!  I'm pretty sure it's not late blowing.  The flavour is very good and definitely Gouda (so no, didn't put PS in by accident Boofer! :) ), so I suspect the holes are gas from the buttermilk starter.  Also, I only pressed this for 6 and a hours, so the internal knit would not be as tight as some of my other makes and some of the holes may just be mechanical.  Still, not quite the solid knit I had hoped for. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 07:38:28 AM »
Ate the last piece of this today.  This cheese, despite my initial disappointment with the holes, was a very well rounded flavoured gouda.  It melted well too.  I was very pleased in the end, and people who tried it liked it too.  So, alls well that ends well, as they say.