Author Topic: My first Manchego and Tomme au Marc  (Read 3029 times)

Bella

My first Manchego and Tomme au Marc
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:43:56 AM »
During the Easter break, I was able to break into three of my cheeses: Manchego (CH’s recipe), Tomme au Marc (Ricki Carrol’s recipe) and Tallegio (Peter Dixon’s recipe). All three cheeses were made with raw jersey milk.

I was very happy with all three, given that they were first attempts, but have already made another Manchego and Tallegio as replacements and know for sure that there will always be a Tallegio at some stage of ripening in my cave.

I cut the Manchego at 4 weeks, but will probably let it go longer next time. At four weeks, it was good – a slight rubbery texture with a mild flavour.

I kept the Tomme almost three months, but was too impatient to allow it time to dry, so scraped off the skins as they were very wet. The cheese has an almost semi-matured cheddary texture and flavour (if a bit open) and there is a definite flavour of the red wine there. For me, this will be a cheese that has lots of experimental potential. As I mentioned in another post a few days ago, I would like to try this with acerola cherries (which I have growing) and perhaps some other fruit as it comes into season.

eVenom

Re: My first Manchego and Tomme au Marc
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:30:21 AM »
Nice looking cheeses! Good Job!

What is the white layer on the outside of the Manchego?

thegregger

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:00:54 AM »
Bella:

Great-looking cheeses.  Congrats.

Greg

Bella

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »
Hello eVenom
Thanks for your comment. It appears to be a mixture of moulds forming the rind - I have no idea what, but they are quite palatable. I have an assortment of cheeses in my small cave, so no doubt there will be some cross-contamination.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 02:27:37 AM »
Very lovely cheeses Bella! You did a wonderful job!