Author Topic: Aging: What Am I Looking For?  (Read 940 times)

cindybman

Aging: What Am I Looking For?
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:15:09 AM »
(Should I have posted this in "Standard Methods - Aging" ?  If so, I apologize; please let me know and I can delete and re-post in the correct place.)

So, I am preparing to make my second cheese and I have chosen "Alpine-Style Tomme" from the book Artisan Cheese Making at Home p. 100.  I couldn't decide what to make and I was worried about getting in waaaay over my head, but then I thought, "Screw it" and decided to just go for it.  Regardless of the outcome, I'll only learn -- right? :)

I'm filling-out all my "paperwork" for preparation... I'm going overboard, but I thought I'd try all the forms and then figure out which ones are most useful for me.  I have "Cheese Making Record" from deejayssmokepit.com (not affiliated in any way), "Homemade Cheese Record" (I cannot remember the source) and then these forms from Karlin's page in affiliation with her book mentioned above: "Cheese Making Template", "Planning Your Cheese Making Session Check List" and "Cheesemaker's Affinage Records". 

In the forms, I complete questions regarding what I should be looking for in taste, aroma, texture etcetera. Through the recipe's description, I am able to wade through this and get the correct information.  However, :)

The Affinage Records, has in the "notes" section, "What I am looking for to determine ripeness:"  SO,

What *am* I looking for to determine ripeness? :)

The cheese is pressed, air-dryed then rubbed with 1 tablespoon of salt.  It is refrigerated on a draining rack and a damp towel for 5 ays. Then it is aged at 50F @ 80%-85% humidity for 2 to 4 months.  The recipe doesn't give any additional information other than to brush off any mold every 5-7 days.

Should I be flipping these everyday? Or just when I go in with the brush?  And, again, I don't understand what to look for.  I'll continue to Google and research my  books, but I thought this would be the best source.

Thanks again and again and again for ALLLLLLL your help!

--Cindy
P.S. I want to do a post of my Alpine-Style Tomme creation with photos and a kinda' diary.  Where would I post that? I just thought it might be helpful for me?

Stinky

Re: Aging: What Am I Looking For?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:40:20 AM »
I flip mine every day and brush any mold that is overly aggressive. Age it as long as you like. I had quite a nice Tomme at 3 months, but it should be good all the way up to a year if you're patient enough and quite likely more, as long as it doesn't dry out.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:06:35 AM »
Check the forum categories for alpine style cheeses.  Don't worry as the admin will move it if you get it wrong. LOL  BTW. We love lots of pictures!!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

cindybman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »
Stinky & Al,  Thanks for the posts!  I need to further research my books and then check out the links and forum articles.  Thanks again!