Author Topic: my cheese accidentally grew b. linens-what do i do?  (Read 1571 times)

fredthecat

my cheese accidentally grew b. linens-what do i do?
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »
im a beginner and it seems my third cheese accidentally grew something that is suggested as being brev. linens.

it was supposed to be a jack, but i salted it too much day after day for almost two weeks. now yellow, bubbly and sticky liquid seeps out daily.

is it still good to eat? how do i care for/manage it? any other advice? here is how it looked a week ago, it's even more yellow-orangey now.

Stinky

Re: my cheese accidentally grew b. linens-what do i do?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »
While it may have linens on it, your description of slime oozing off sounds completely different and bad.

fredthecat

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:06:52 PM »
right, so is it something different? it smells sort of footy-not vomit inducing, but strong.

any suggestions on this? should i just keep turning it? should i wipe it off? how long do i wait?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
Based on the information available I would toss it and try again.  Sorry
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

WovenMeadows

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:56:16 AM »
My guess is that the cheese had excess whey in it when being pressed; it is now undergoing some kind of yeasty fermentation inside (the bubbly, oozing liquid and "stinky feet" smell).

If b. linens growth was happening, you'd probably just first find your cheese getting slightly tacky to the touch and perhaps a bit beige (actually surface yeasts), with b. linens following (beige to orange colored). But it only develops really well with repeated washings, and should only be "wet" because of the wash you applied - not on its own accord.