Author Topic: Blue Cheshire, any tips?  (Read 1470 times)

robustini

Blue Cheshire, any tips?
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
Hi All

I have enjoyed a little success making cheshire style pressed cheeses and really fancy a go at a "Blue" cheshire. I have some p roquerfort,  So this weekend I may make a start.

I would be delighted if you would like to share any tips or tricks with me, Your thoughts are welcome.

Thx

Robustini,
Wilmslow
Cheshire

smcaro@gmail.com

Re: Blue Cheshire, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:01:52 AM »
Now, I know this is an old thread. 9n weeks ago I made a Cheshire cheese with P. Roqueforti added. It spent 3 weeks out at room temperature ( on my  dining table at my small apartment in Hong Kong, so between 19º and 27º). Even pierced twice the blue was not very obvious even after such a long time.

I then left for annual vacation for six weeks, so I vac packed it. Looking good upon my return inside the packing. I am wondering wether I should take it out of the plastic and age it naturally from now on. I honestly do not remember when I noted I should try it, and the sticker I had on the package is no longer readable due to humidity.

But I will give my impressions on this thread as I go along.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »
I don't have any advice to offer, but I will be interested to hear the results!
-- Andy

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »
I will keep you informed awakephd....

Do you have any recommendation regarding maturing time? I still have it in its vac pac. I am overturning my maturing cave ( s) adding a bigger wine fridge tomorrow, and I am getting a shipment of Gourmet European cheeses from Spain also tomorrow, so I am holding back in the plan to put it ( the Chesire blue) back on air, inside the cave, affiance,

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
Ordinarily I would think of aging a blue cheese for 12-14 weeks. But since this is a Cheshire, I wonder if it would need longer. I would probably try it at 12-14 weeks, and see how it is; maybe eat 1/4 at that time, and vac bag the rest for another month or two, and test again.
-- Andy

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 02:08:37 AM »
I have finally decided against taking it out of the vac pac. It looks good under, there is no liquid development inside and I prevent cross contamination while I figure out how to organise myself with both wine fridges.

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:09 AM »
Update: still inside the vac pac and in the cave at 13ºC. Its now 6 months old.

Any ideas on what I should do with it?

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:29:57 PM »
Eat it!
The blue won't have grown any further inside the vac pac (it needs oxygen to grow) but whatever enzymatic activity from the blue you had grown will have done it's thing and 6 months is long enough for a Cheshire.
Crack it open:  it's time for Show and Tell.
:)
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.