Author Topic: Whey pH = Cheese pH?  (Read 3378 times)

thegregger

Whey pH = Cheese pH?
« on: April 14, 2009, 05:10:19 AM »
Hey all:

I hope this post is in the right place.  Recently I made some brick cheese, just to take a break from 3 straight Swiss wheels.  My Meso starter was feeling neglected.  When the milk reached 88 degrees, the pH was 6.62.  When I drained the curds, the whey pH was 6.41.  Later, whey that had drained showed a pH reading of 6.2.  The next morning, the last remaining whey showed a pH reading of 5.2.  Is a pH reading of the whey a valid measurement of what is happening inside the cheese?

Thanks,

Greg

wharris

Re: Whey pH = Cheese pH?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:22:46 AM »
I would say so, yes.
The whey is liquid that was once inside the curd, but due to the process of synersis, has been expelled from the curd.

I would say that the pH of the whey and the curd is pretty close up until you wash the curd, or drain it obviously.

Linuxboy might have some better insight on this, but those are my thoughts in a nutshell.

thegregger

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »
Wayne:

Thanks for your input.  It's good to know that I have an additional control measurement.  Next question:  Do you think a pH of 5.2 is too low for the end of the press?  I got the cheese in a brine immediately, in order to stop any further acidification.

Thanks,

Greg 

wharris

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »
Well that really depends on the cheese you are making.
Peter Dixon indicates that cheddar should be at pH 5.3-5.4 just prior to milling and salting.
A Tomme should be pH 5.7- 5.8 before dunking in brine.

Overall 5.2 sounds just a bit low.   but not horrible.
I have some cheddars that are around pH 4.4.  needless to say they are not winning any awards.