Author Topic: Floury Rind  (Read 894 times)

South Coast Cheese

Floury Rind
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:19:22 AM »
Hi we have entered our Brie into a judging competition and we were  given the feed back that our mould was too floury??? Does anyone have any ideas how to minimise this.... Any ideas are very welcome
 :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Floury Rind
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 06:13:49 AM »
Hi SCC,
Welcome to the forum - There are a wonderful bunch of people here with a wealth of experience.  Do you have any pictures of the cheese at the show?
Now my comments are from a 'Home' cheese maker and have got my version of Camembert/ Brie to a point where I and my family love it and without the facility or opportunity to 'Show' my cheese I am only making comment on my experience.
'Floury' is an interesting description.
I would expect that the rind should be whitish with a bit of the rind surface showing through.  I would expect that the PC would be the overall predominant covering.  By 'Floury' did they mean the PC growth was too much - I don't pat mine down nor do I wrap them - but again I'm not selling or shipping, so I dont see the need.  If you are interested here is how I make mine and I end up with quite a thin rind, certianly not as thick as some I've seen commercially. My Bloomies ripens longer than normal for 7-8 weeks @ 4 Deg C.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13412.0.html

As I don't know how you make your cheese I can only comment that maybe the cheese is ripened at a higher temperature, therefore promoting both the PC (GC if you are using it) and the ripening rate.

Does that help ?

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Floury Rind
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »
What was your make?  Got any pictures?  We love us some pictures!!  Welcome!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos