Author Topic: Washed Rind Cheese Methods  (Read 3015 times)

Chevre Guevara

Washed Rind Cheese Methods
« on: April 14, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »
I've read quite a bit about brining- but I'm curious about washing. I'm going to attempt a taleggio-style cheese this weekend and I'm wondering about saving the brine and washing the cheeses with it as the weeks go by. If I'm using whey in my brine I'm wondering if it will go bad? Eventually, I'd like to do some wine and/or beer washed cheeses so I have the same question there. I suppose one can keep the brine/wine/beer refrigerated?? Does anyone here have experience with washed rinds? I'm more interested in learning to make natural rind cheeses vs. waxing.

Bella

Re: Washed Rind Cheese Methods
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
Hi Chevre and welcome to the forum
My knowledge of precisely what to do with washed rind cheeses is virtually nil, so when I made my first one, I was winging it. That was a taleggio.

And yes, I just used the brine, and kept it in the frig and used a little bit each time I washed, thowing out what remained after the washing as it does get contaminated.  Not sure about the wine/beer, but it sure sound a great idea and one I might try myself one of these days.

since then, I have done a couple more and used the same procedure, though one cheese (I forget which) required a 3% brine solution, so I made it up especially for that cheese. Otherwise, I use the one I normally use for other cheeses, 20% or thereabouts.

Best of luck with it
B

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »
CG, I don't know enough about them but I have read somewhere (sorry forgot where) that 1) old artisan cheese makers used to never throw away their brine wash and instead just add to it for losses and in that way let it cultivate over years and years, and 2) that not now done that way as considered unhygienic by inspectors.

Good luck!

Chevre Guevara

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:20:41 AM »
Thanks for the posts! I have yet to do a formal introduction of myself on this board. I've learned more here
than in my many cheese books and research. It's a very challenging undertaking! I took a cheese course in
Vermont- we did a gouda-type cheese and Larry kept his brine long-term, just adjusting the ratio. So, I guess
some artisanal sorts are still keeping their brine. But he wasn't washing his cheese, he was doing the classic
brine bath and then further aging. So, I've never really seen or even read about washing-type brines. But,
here I go- trial and error, like all cheesemaking it seems.  ::) Bella, my tallegio experiment is turning out some
mighty soft cheeses, and they're still leaking whey although I've moved them into the aging fridge. Does that
sound right? worried...

Bella

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:32:02 AM »
CG
I put mine straight into a normal frig after making them, and left them there until ready to eat.  They were great!
B