Author Topic: Annatto Colorant - Rate/Amount To Use  (Read 2639 times)

zenith1

Annatto Colorant - Rate/Amount To Use
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »
I just took a colby out of the press and it has very little of the color that you would typically would see. I followed the recipe and added 2 drops of the annatto coloring diluted in 1/4 c of water per gallon. What is the members experience with coloring. It appears that it was no where near enough to color the cheese.

wharris

Re: Annatto Colorant - Rate/Amount To Use
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:51:09 PM »
as your milk proteins concentrate down to the curds, the coloring will become more evident. 

For cheddar I add 8 drops / gallon.  This makes my milk a slight cream color, but my cheddar a rich orange.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:18:38 PM »
Thanks for your input Wayne. I had tried a second one at 6 drops per gallon and it was almost what I was looking for. I'll try 8 next time. Also, have you noticed any effect on the color intensity when using different fat content milks, ie 2%- whole? Or is the color bound just to the protein?

wharris

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »
I have only ever used Annatto on whole milk, so you now know all I know.
:)

goat lady

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:29:42 PM »
My directions say for an orange color use 18 drops
for every 5qts in 2 tbs water

6 drops for a yellow color

Rich

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:18:22 AM »
I've been using 45 drops for 4 gal of raw milk, and its just right for me.  This would be a higher fat content than store-bought whole milk.  It takes a bit more stirring to blend nicely, but the color is great.