Author Topic: Stinky's Butterkäse #1  (Read 5781 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Stinky's Butterkäse #1
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »
Nieves, I was about to pull back up your intro thread to add another word about ways of making your own molds -- specifically to call you attention to what Stinky has done. If you search back through his posts, you'll see that he has made some rectangular molds out of wood, and they seem to work well for him. Another option ...
-- Andy

Oolybooly

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 11:22:33 PM »
Nieves, I was about to pull back up your intro thread to add another word about ways of making your own molds -- specifically to call you attention to what Stinky has done. If you search back through his posts, you'll see that he has made some rectangular molds out of wood, and they seem to work well for him. Another option ...

thanks andy :)

i did notice that and it had me wondering cuz most everywhere i get the impression that certain cheeses need certain shape/size etc to dry and age properly. i had assumed that once you get good enough at it and see what works that you could play with shapes a bit more. in any case i think the loaf shape makes for easier cutting :P

Stinky

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 04:13:10 PM »

thanks andy :)

i did notice that and it had me wondering cuz most everywhere i get the impression that certain cheeses need certain shape/size etc to dry and age properly. i had assumed that once you get good enough at it and see what works that you could play with shapes a bit more. in any case i think the loaf shape makes for easier cutting :P

The thing about wheels is they have fewer corners. Brick shape is just easier to build a mold for and more ideal in my situation because I have small ripening boxes. I recommend wheels, but these work great as well.