Author Topic: Too much Rennet?  (Read 4793 times)

albinosamoan

Too much Rennet?
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:12:32 PM »
I made feta yesterday, and everything seems to be fine, although I haven't tasted it yet. I used the recipe from Artisan Cheesemaking at Home, but substituted flor danica for aroma b, because I am limited on starter cultures in Anchorage (until I get an internet order).
My question is this- I doubled the recipe because I had a lot of milk, the original recipe called for 1/2 tsp of rennet for a 1 gallon batch. I made a 2 gallon batch, so I used 1 tsp.liquid, vegetable) That seems like way too much, especially since reading posts and recipes here. I am new here, and to cheesemaking in general, so I thought I'd better ask. I am about to cube her up and salt her. In case it matters (I am finding out that when I ask that it usually does) the milk was grocery store, p/h. I let it Rennet (if that can be a verb) for one hour, at 86 deg. It's too late to fix, but maybe good to know. Is there a formula for rennet use?
On the side, Thanks for this forum, I'm the only one I know who makes cheese, so I got no one else to ask!
 Thanks Again,
Briann

I am going to try Gjetost with my leftover whey. I found the recipe after link surfing from here, http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/Gjetost/Gjetost.htm. I have to clean my pot though, I burned a bunch of milk to it making Skyr. Fun fun fun...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:23:43 PM by albinosamoan »

WovenMeadows

Re: Too much Rennet?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
Here's what Linuxboy had posted here on amounts to use:

You need about 1/4 tsp rennet dissolved in 40 parts cold water for one gallon milk. In the US, rennet is standardized so 1 unit of rennet coagulates 15,000 units of milk in 45 minutes as 95 F. This is by weight. So if 1 gal of rennet weighs 9 lbs, it is enough to coagulate about 135,000 lbs of milk, which is about 15,900 gallons of cow milk.

Meaning for the typical double strength stuff you buy, if you get a gallon, it would take 30,000 gallons of milk to use it up.

I would add that if your rennet starts to get old, it loses potency, so may need to increase the amount.

I'll also add that rather than just going by a fixed amount time to let the milk set for after adding rennet, use the "flocculation method" (you can search the forum for details). Basically, after you add the rennet, you watch the milk for signs of it beginning to set (e.g. dipping a knife and looking for "flocs", or spinning a light bowl or lid and watching for it to stop being able to spin). Then, depending on the cheese type and the amount of moisture you want in the curd, you multiple the time it took for the milk to begin to gel times a certain factors, e.g. 2x, 3x, 5x. So, for instance, for something like a Gouda, you might use a 3x factor, so if it takes the milk 13 minutes to flocculate, then 13 x 3 = 39 would be the total time to let the milk set before cutting the curd.

albinosamoan

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:35:32 PM »
Thanks, I thought it seemed like a lot. I was not trying to compensate for aged rennet, just doubling a recipe. I will look for a flocculation guide, and see if it will adjust for temperature as well.
I tasted it after cutting and salting, ans it was a little bitter, but not bad. I will take this as a win.
Thanks!

WovenMeadows

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »
Oh, and some rennet will come as double strength, so twice as strong, so you would use half as much as "normal." I usually see the vegetable rennet (vs animal or GMO) as such.

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 10:37:25 AM »
Most of the advice I have seen on here, recommends following the package directions rather then the recipe---so if the rennet package says 1/2 tsp. per gallon -----start with that amount----double for two gallons and so forth------you can adjust the amount, up or down, on your next make after you see the results. I would also recommend using a syringe marked in mils. -----much more accurate----since commercial measuring spoons are notoriously inaccurate.
Qdog