Author Topic: Hot water dip  (Read 762 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Hot water dip
« on: March 20, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone out there has tried this suggestion in the Caldwell book? If the knit of the rind is not sufficiently closed, immerse the cheese in 160 degree water for 1 to 3 mins, then place back into the press. She suggests this strategy for the final stages of pressing if necessary.
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Hot water dip
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »
Would seem the same as pressing under hot whey Susan.  Can't see that it would hurt anything as long as it wasn't in there too long.  Would be okay for cheddars and such but maybe not temp sensitive cheeses. 
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

Re: Hot water dip
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:01:24 AM »
I am just wondering if anyone out there has tried this suggestion in the Caldwell book? If the knit of the rind is not sufficiently closed, immerse the cheese in 160 degree water for 1 to 3 mins, then place back into the press. She suggests this strategy for the final stages of pressing if necessary.

Small world!  Caldwell mentions this in the "stirred curd recipe" for Cheshire.  I made this today and thought I might have to perform this task.  However, by the end of the second turn my cheese was knitted together and the rind was mostly closed.  I was diligent to keep the curd warm as the recipe calls for.  Rather than use a water bath I stuck a $12 Lowes heater in the laundry room with the draining curds and keep the temperature of the room at 95-100 degrees.  I also kept the room this warm for the first two hours of pressing.  My guess is that a three minute dunk in 160F water would accomplish knitting and a closed rind.   :D