Author Topic: Sous Vide again!  (Read 1700 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Sous Vide again!
« on: June 06, 2019, 05:30:06 AM »
I use a 6 inch deep full size steam pan for most batches of cheese I make. I usually use direct heat with cast iron heat diffusers over the gas burners. I have needed to stir very consistently in order to avoid hot spots while cooking the curd. Lots of good cheese this way.
On my previous attempts to use the sous vide device for water bath heating for the milk and curds, I was having a problem finding a container that would work for holding the steam pan without spillage or excess water.
I went shopping for a new container, and found one that is more the right size. It is still bigger than I want, but with a cookie cooling rack under the pan, I eliminated the steam pan drifting around, and did not have any spillage of milk or water.

This was a caerphilly make (Caldwell). The sous vide worked perfectly to maintain 86 degrees for the 60 minute ripening, and raised the temp to 93 in the targeted 15 minutes.

All in all quite happy, and will make another test next week!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:49:21 AM by scasnerkay »
Susan

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Sous Vide again!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »
It's interesting... I would never have thought of using plastic, but because of the low heat used in cheese making it's a great idea!  Now I'm having sous vide envy...

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »
I enjoy making some cheeses that are thermophyllic and want up to about 120 F. I hope the plastic can handle it without deforming!
Susan

Offline TravisNTexas

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Sweet dreams are made of cheese...
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:42:51 PM »
I have to echo Mike's Sous Vide envy.  Very nice set up indeed!!
-Travis

mtnbikemama

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
I love using my sous vide! I use it in a large camping cooler. and yes the rack is needed (as I found out after it tilted and un-sanitized water flooded my milk!)