Author Topic: Lancashire #8 - a tutorial for beginners  (Read 7665 times)

jbrewton

Re: Lancashire #8 - a tutorial for beginners
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
Where did you get the "fancy horizontal curd cutter"?  From the fancy cheese shop?  Seriously, where?  I think I may try this cheese once I see how my Caerphilly #1 does.

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 07:16:47 AM »
Very nice set of instructions.  Have another cheese.  I've made Mrs KK's Lancashire a couple times and agree that it improves greatly up to 2 months.  It's a high moisture content cheese, so best when young.  If you want to age it out, cut smaller and stir more to expel more whey, but this one works so well as a quick cheese that I'm not sure there's a need to produce a longer aging version.  There are other cheddar types for that niche.

- Jeff

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »
Where did you get the "fancy horizontal curd cutter"?  From the fancy cheese shop?  Seriously, where?  I think I may try this cheese once I see how my Caerphilly #1 does.

Actually, this is a home-brewed design that I have been working on. I described it (and reference the designs of others that inspired it) in the following thread: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13485.0.html -- the first post has pictures, and the third has a description of the cutter.

I have been working -- unfortunately, very slowly -- on improvements to the design, with the possibility of making it available to others. I finally got a prototype out to John at Perfect Cheese (www.perfect-cheese.com) to evaluate -- that prototype is very flexible in adjusting to different-sized pots, but rather too complicated to make it commercially viable. (Or rather I should say, what I sent him would have to represent the "premium" model, available for a very "special" price for those among us with deep pockets. :)) So now I am working -- again, very slowly -- on a simpler design, still flexible, but hopefully possible to manufacture without breaking the bank.
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. I concur -- there is no particular reason to push this make towards longer aging; it works too well as a relatively quick cheese. For longer aging, I think it makes more sense to go ahead and make a more traditional cheddar type. I am still hoping to try your Cheshire or Derby makes "someday soon" ....
-- Andy

Spoons

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 01:57:46 AM »
Great job on the tutorial, Andy! Lancashire is indeed a great beginner's cheese! I've got 2 5-pounders aging in the cave right now :)

AC4U !

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
Thanks! I have two 3.5-ish pound Lancs in the cave. Two weeks to go for the first one, and the second should be ready 3 weeks later. :)
-- Andy

serano

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 06:42:25 AM »
Why the inclusion of a thermo (TA061)in this make? Would exlcuding it make much difference?

I ask, because its next on my list but i have no thermo culture.  i could in a pinch use some store bought natural yogurt, but i cant find one with pure Strep. therm. in it

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 01:39:01 PM »
Great job Andy and an excellent tutorial!  AC4U!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 11:53:19 PM »
Thanks Al!

Serano, the TA061 is there just to add a bit more complexity to the flavor. Leaving it out will not make a huge difference, I don't think. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to throw some yogurt in to see what it does to the mix! :)
-- Andy

serano

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 04:05:16 AM »
cheers awake.  Ill leave the yogurt out this time and see how it goes.