Author Topic: Cheese caves - humidity control  (Read 8091 times)

LadyLiberty

Cheese caves - humidity control
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:37:03 AM »
HI ya'll!  I know I haven't checked in for a long time, but that's because I haven't been making any cheese.  But things have changed.  I am now involved with an impromptu, sorta transition type group, where we get into doing things together like sausage making, and everyone wants to do cheese now.  Tom and I have a little experience with that, so we are game for that.  We have a refrigerator wine cellar (one of those small ones_ that we don't really need to use for wine, but it would seem perfect for cheese because we can control the temperature.  We would have to replace the loopy shelves that the wine bottles rested in, but I'm sure with Tom's woodworking skills we could do that.  I've been looking at http://www.perfect-cheese.com/ to get a humidifier for the cellar, is that a good company?  Are these nerds reliable?  (They have to be nerds to make something like this).  ;) Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Joy Williams
Wanting to make Gruyere....and camembert... and brie... and cheddar... and oh just about everything cheesy, except blue, unless it's stilton.

qdog1955

Re: Cheese caves - humidity control
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »
Have heard nothing but good things about Perfect Cheese and his products----and Yes, John is a big nerd :) and posts here often.
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
You'll probably find that you can control the humidity in a cave that small with a bowl of water or a damp towel in the bottom.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »
Or use ripening boxes and adjust how far open you crack them.

jbrewton

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
You'll probably find that you can control the humidity in a cave that small with a bowl of water or a damp towel in the bottom.

I have tried this, but can't get above 80%.  My cave has a compressor and when it comes on, the RH% goes down to 50% @ 55F.  It may be my method:  I have a bowl with water, and I hang a paper towel from the rack to the bowl to wick the water up.  Using vacuum bags currently.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
The humidity control in a small 'Cave' is a bit difficult. The problem is that with the wine fridge it might not have A. a fan and B. the cooling cycle is very aggressive in removing moisture from the air in the fridge and the cave cube really battles to keep it up.  In my case the coil was so close to the back internal wall it developed a complete sheet of ice. Great for temperature but lousy for the relative humidity.   I actually ended buying a humidity controlled wine fridge and then added the cave cube - wonderful - but a bit expensive.

Here is a good post to follow up on some ideas.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10288.120.html

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 11:34:15 PM »
We would have to replace the loopy shelves that the wine bottles rested in, but I'm sure with Tom's woodworking skills we could do that.  I've been looking at http://www.perfect-cheese.com/ to get a humidifier for the cellar, is that a good company?  Are these nerds reliable?  (They have to be nerds to make something like this).  ;)
Joy, this made.. my.. day :) (although I'm getting a bit old to qualify as a real nerd).   

Al and Stinky gave good advice but the de-humidification effect from the compressor / cooler can make things difficult. I know Mal thinks we're a bit expensive (heck Mal, anything shipped from here to Australia is expensive :o).  Whether it's bowls of water or wet towels make sure you have confidence in your hygrometer.  Always best to keep it simple and if it works for you it works  :).

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 04:27:52 AM »
@ John,  Oh No !! I fully expected the shipping cost..  and for the record your are very reasonably priced, in some aspects it is still cheaper to buy in the US - Convert to AU $$ - pay the shipping. And, there is NOONE able to provide anything like the Cave Cube package ANYWHERE NEAR the price you sell them at. If the Temp controller would control 240 volt appliances I would have bought that as well.  :)   Best thing I ever bought for Cheese - Check out the last Caerphilly this was purely ripened with a natural rind in the new cave (MKIII) with the 'Cube'.  Previously it would have been a cracked, dry, tasteless mess - with the Cube - Best ever Caerphilly... just in case you missed it BEST EVER CAERPHILLY !!

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

LadyLiberty

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:05 AM »
We would have to replace the loopy shelves that the wine bottles rested in, but I'm sure with Tom's woodworking skills we could do that.  I've been looking at http://www.perfect-cheese.com/ to get a humidifier for the cellar, is that a good company?  Are these nerds reliable?  (They have to be nerds to make something like this).  ;)
Joy, this made.. my.. day :) (although I'm getting a bit old to qualify as a real nerd).   

Al and Stinky gave good advice but the de-humidification effect from the compressor / cooler can make things difficult. I know Mal thinks we're a bit expensive (heck Mal, anything shipped from here to Australia is expensive :o).  Whether it's bowls of water or wet towels make sure you have confidence in your hygrometer.  Always best to keep it simple and if it works for you it works  :).

Hi John, ok, so YOU are the nerd that makes these things.  You need a geek on your staff to check all those links as well,  btw, because many of them don't work.  So tell me what I need to do, I have a fairly new wine cellar that has an upper chamber for reds, and lower for whites, and temp controls on both chambers (which might make it possible to make different types of cheeses that require different temps). I can set the temperatures in both chambers,and both will do 55 or 60 degrees.  How long would it take you to ship out your combo thing that both monitors the temperature and the cube?  We are waiting for our tax return check, so we would like to buy one as soon as we get it.  And why is there no phone number on your website? :(
It would be good to talk to you to know that we are doing things right.

(nothing wrong with nerds btw, I'm one.)

Joy

LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:18:22 AM »
oops I said monitors the temperature and the cube, and I mean monitors the humidity.  I want that combo thingie.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »
and from the video, it apparently has a capacity to monitor the amount of humidity and shut the cube off when it goes over the amount you set it for.  Was I interpreting that video correctly?  Isn't that the whole point of the RH monitor? http://www.perfect-cheese.com/humidity-controller

LadyLiberty

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »
BTW, being a nerd is a GOOD thing.  Evon Musk is a nerd, for example.  Age has nothing to do with it. ;)

Kern

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 12:16:10 AM »
and from the video, it apparently has a capacity to monitor the amount of humidity and shut the cube off when it goes over the amount you set it for.  Was I interpreting that video correctly?  Isn't that the whole point of the RH monitor? http://www.perfect-cheese.com/humidity-controller

I use the Perfect Cheese temperature and humidity controller to keep my cave at 55F and 85% RH.  For grins, I've run it as low as 50F and 90% RH.  In both cases it worked like a charm.  My cave is a 16 cubic foot Whirlpool upright freezer purchased new from Lowes several months ago.  This is a frost free device so that when the unit runs to cool down a couple of degrees (which takes about 2 minutes) it pulls the RH down to about 78%.  The "cube" then takes about five minutes to get the RH back to 85%.  I put the cube in a Tupperware container with a bottom surface area about twice that of the cube.  I top off the water about every two weeks.  There will be more demand on the system once the weather warms up here in the Seattle area but my engineering background tells me that this will be no problem for either device.   ^-^

LadyLiberty

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 06:56:40 AM »

I use the Perfect Cheese temperature and humidity controller to keep my cave at 55F and 85% RH.  For grins, I've run it as low as 50F and 90% RH.  In both cases it worked like a charm.  My cave is a 16 cubic foot Whirlpool upright freezer purchased new from Lowes several months ago.  This is a frost free device so that when the unit runs to cool down a couple of degrees (which takes about 2 minutes) it pulls the RH down to about 78%.  The "cube" then takes about five minutes to get the RH back to 85%.  I put the cube in a Tupperware container with a bottom surface area about twice that of the cube.  I top off the water about every two weeks.  There will be more demand on the system once the weather warms up here in the Seattle area but my engineering background tells me that this will be no problem for either device.   ^-^

Thanks, that's the information I wated to hear.  :)

LadyLiberty

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 07:14:31 AM »
can we use wooden shelves in a mini wine cellar?