Author Topic: Cheese caves - humidity control  (Read 8102 times)

jwalker

Re: Cheese caves - humidity control
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »
can we use wooden shelves in a mini wine cellar?

That's exactly what I'm using , works fine for me.

Kern

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 02:19:47 AM »
Solid wood shelves are feasible so long as they are small enough to allow reasonable air circulation in the mini wine cellar.   

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 04:37:23 AM »
Most of the best cheese caves of the world have wooden shelves.... Ash and maple being the most available wood here in North America for cheese caves. Most say it gives the cheese a subtle character being aged on wood :)

Martin

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 08:19:45 AM »
So, I'm interested to hear how your mini-cave is doing? What did you do and how is it working out?

Offline Mike Cross

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »
I have both the cave cube and cave temperature controller from Perfect Cheese and they work perfectly!  I've installed them in a 27"  Delfield 406 commercial under counter refrigerator (about the size of a kegerator, a little more capacity).  I replaced the wire shelves with wooden shelves and can age about 85 pounds of cheese in the current configuration.  I can easily go up to 115 pound capacity if needed, and more beyond that with a little work.  I had the same problem with the cooling coils pulling out the humidity until I placed rolled up paper towels in the inside drip area from the coils.  (This is a commercial refrigerator so everything is easily accessible from both the inside and out, but not big on looks.)  Now I have the problem of almost too much humidity because the thing is so air tight.  (I drilled a hole for the wires vice running through door.)  Anyway, highly recommend the Perfect Cheese products and easily turning a refrigerator into a cave.  Good luck!