Author Topic: Hoop Draining Board - Recommendation  (Read 3139 times)

Cheese Head

Hoop Draining Board - Recommendation
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »
In July 2008 I bought a Rubbermaid large plastic draining board from Amazon.com here in USA for USD10.95 to go beside sink, I've used it as draining board for my Camembert hoops. It is large, easily fits 4 standard hoops, would probably fit 6, ribs are wide and raised (allowing good drainage) and widely spaced. The board is raised on 6 perimeter "feet".

Whey drains nicely into sink, but two problems:
  • Board bows in middle so board beneath where bottom of hoops are is not 100% flat and thus fresh curds can extrude out around bottom of hoops if I fill them too high and pressure is too great. I could make a wedge to lift middle.
  • Ribs are too wide apart @ 1.2"/3 cm, allowing bottom mats to bend under weight and curds to extrude, so I use fine and a course mat to give more rigidity.

Neither solution is great, anyone have any better ideas or systems for gravity draining their hoops of whey?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:41:50 PM by John (CH) »

Tea

Re: Hoop Draining Board - Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:00:57 PM »
I have an extra large cake cooling rack that I sit on the sink.  If I need to move it away from the sink (to make room) I just put a baking pan underneath to catch the whey.
Works for me anyway.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Hoop Draining Board - Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 05:31:08 AM »
I just use a large dinner plate. They curve up toward the edge so it tilts naturally.