Author Topic: New from California  (Read 866 times)

trey

New from California
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:45:15 AM »
I almost hate saying that.  California.  I'm a South Carolina native, relocated to Wyoming, then California.

Anyway, I'm Trey.  I have always had interest in making things.  Any things.  I started with making beer.  But then I quit drinking.  Rolled my own cigars, quit smoking.  Did some metal working and wood working, and still enjoy both.  I've always wanted to give cheese a try, and as long as I don't quit eating, this should be enjoyable!

My first attempt was a few days ago.  I tried the "30 minute Mozzarella."  After reading around, I had the same experience as many others.  Ricotta.  I'm glad it didn't work out.  I hate it when things go right the first time, it takes the challenge away!  I probably won't try it again.  Seems like many people have the same issue, and I don't want to drive myself to frustration. 

I picked up the "Home Cheese Making" book.  I am reading it, and trying to choose my first real recipe.

I look forward to learning from all of you, and thanks for having me!

shaneb

Re: New from California
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:58:27 AM »
Welcome Trey.  :)

Shane

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
Welcome Trey!  Enjoy the site and feel free to join in on the conversations and ask any questions you may have.  BTW If you consume enough of the end product of this hobby I can tell you what you'll stop this time. LOL ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:55:46 AM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
Welcome to the amazing world of cheese! :-)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Trey, here is a cheese you might try: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14315.msg109048.html#msg109048

Not trying to toot my own horn, especially since there are so many others on this board with far greater experience and expertise ... but someone like you, just starting out, is exactly why I put that "pictorial" together!
-- Andy

trey

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:05:01 AM »
Thanks everyone!

I'll try to not eat too much cheese at once.  Sounds....not fun.

Andy, I will give your recipe a shot!  I have to build a press first.  Maybe this weekend?!