Author Topic: European Suppliers - Germany/Greece?  (Read 4620 times)

Cornelius

European Suppliers - Germany/Greece?
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:19:12 PM »
Hi,

I used to live in the US until last year and when I left I packed my cultures and rennet and all ... unfortunately, they are now running low and I have not been terribly successful in finding local suppliers (I live in Cyprus now). Luckily though it would be possible for me to obtain my ingredients from either Greece or Germany - does anyone know or deal with suppliers in those countries?

Thanks a lot.

Cheese Head

Re: European Suppliers - Germany/Greece?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
Cornelius, I haven't looked for any there.

But I have found some Dutch & French & Bulgarian Cheese Making suppliers, those and any others I've linked on the website here. Dutch and French ones seem to be lower cost than US :-\.

If you find any German/Greece ones please let me know and I'll add them to our list!

Cornelius

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:13:53 PM »
I had seen the Dutch and French suppliers you listed, but hoped to find something more local ... which I did and was going to post three sites. Two sites are in German only and neither accept credit cards (bank transfer only - very typical for Germany). The third is in Switzerland, content in German and French.

The first I found on Google and it seems very comprehensive: cultures, equipment, etc.
http://www.kaesereibedarf-leidinger.com/

The second was recommended to me from a farmer who makes his own cheeses in the Black Forrest (his cheeses are great!). They don't list prices on their web site and seems far more industrial than home cheese making ...
http://www.fritz-juergensen.de/start.htm

The third is also industrial scale, but you never know.
http://www.winklerag.ch/

I plan on ordering from the second and will post my experiences.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05:07 AM »
Cornelius, thanks for the links, just added and updated to the listing on that webpage. The last one has a ch ending web address so I've assumed it is Switzerland.

Good luck ordered, should be fine, thanks again!

Cornelius

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »
Yes, it is Switzerland (sorry, thought I had mentioned that). I have heard back from number 2 (very quick response) and they do sell to Amateurs as well. That is good news, waiting on a price list now as their web site does not list prices. Will update with results.

Cornelius

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 10:43:36 PM »
Number two's prices seem to be good on cultures (they appear to exclusively carry Danisco and definitely cheaper than what I used to pay in the US), but their equipment prices are not as nice as Leidinger which is quite a bit cheaper. I have yet to hear back form number three (the swiss company).

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »
Cornelius, thanks for update, just re-read that you are in Cyprus, supposed to be beautiful. We lived in Syria from 2000-2004, also beautiful, lots of my fellow expats went there on holiday as I think direct flights, a couple even bought holiday apartments. Syria is also great for holidays, lots of ruins etc.

Cornelius

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:30:47 AM »
Yes, Cyprus is has its beauties, but I do miss the efficiency of living in NY when it comes to getting things done - I think the heat pacifies people. I've heard Syria is beautiful, but unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to visit yet. There are quite a number of Syrians here in Cyprus and I love a Syrian restaurant here in town. That was quite a number of years you spent there - did you have the chance to taste some dessert truffles?

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 02:34:37 PM »
Many beautiful restaurents but nope on the desert truffles, sorry don't know those, but we did have access to Ghraoui Chocolates and I did pick up a once per month hubbly-bubbly habit!

Cornelius

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »
OK, I have now ordered from both Juergensen and Leidinger - they are both great people to deal with. I hae been in touch with them over the last couple of days asking a few questions about cultures, etc.

Juergensen is actually shipping out before having received payment - wow. They only carry Danisco, but a huge variety of it and at great prices (in some cases as little as half of what I used to pay in the US). They also emailed me Danisco's spec sheets for the cultures I ordered (very nice of them - they probably are available on the Danisco web site, but it made it all the easier) and some have interesting information. They also included a number of recipes and are eager to assist with anything else I might need ...

From Leidinger I ordered my molds as theirs are cheaper (compared to the US, once again about half to maybe two thirds the price).

In addition, just in case there is anybody else in Cyprus, Danisco actually does have a rep here! Quite amazing I think, but they do not stock anything as the market is too small and Danisco's minimum order requirement is to high to make ordering possible ...