Author Topic: Queso De Freier?  (Read 2615 times)

the_stain

Queso De Freier?
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »
Anyone have a recipe for Queso de Freier (Frying Cheese) or know a cheese that is similar?  They sell this in the Mexican section of my local grocery mart.  It's a white cheese, semi-rubbery, reminds me a little of mozzarella and a little bit of monterey jack.  It is intended to be sliced and pan-fried... the slices get nice and brown and crusty but the cheese doesn't melt, and it's delicious.

zenith1

Re: Queso De Freier?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »
you can try Queso Blanco. It is an easy to make, and like the cheese that you mentioned will not melt when cooked with, even deep fried. I believe that there is a recipe for it on the forum.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
Stain, it sounds very similar to Middle Eastern Halloumi.

There's a bunch of posts on that in the Brine Preserved Board plus you can search the forum on Halloumi and Haloumi.

Fellow member Tea has made several batches!

goatherdess

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »
Hi Stain,
1 gallon of milk
1/4 cup lemon juice, or lime juice, or vinegar
Heat the milk very slowly in a heavy bottomed pot until it comes to a very low simmer. Slowly pour in the acid while stirring. It will make curds immediately. Take off the heat at once and strain it after a few minutes. Put the strained curds into a cheese press for a couple hours, then slice and fry. Or if you don't have a cheese press, put it in muslin cloth, twist it tightly closed and press it against the bottom of a bowl with your hand (after it cools). Keep pressing and twisting until it is as firm as you want it. Slice and fry.

BobnCathy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »
although I have no recipe for it...would a Kesseri cheese work for this??  I'm thinking flaming cheese "Saganaki"<sp>

the_stain

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:36:03 AM »
Thanks! I'll try this! :)