Author Topic: HOWDY!  (Read 4631 times)

Frumunda

HOWDY!
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:57:03 PM »
I'm from Louisiana,I have recently become fascinated with cooking and wanting to make my own cheeses as well.I love all kinds of cheese and would love to be able to make a wide veriety of cheese,goat cheeses especially,as I'm going to get a few dairy goats soon.Can goat milk be used to make any cheese,or just certain ones?

zenith1

Re: HOWDY!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 10:12:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum Road Rash. Love the handle. Goat's milk is a great and historic vehicle for cheese making. There are many recipes available here on the forum for both hard and soft goat's cheese. It makes a great cheddar style, and a nice soft herbed  goat cheese with some nice roasted red peppers on a crusty bread makes a very appetizing sandwich!

Edited by webmaster.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:04:42 PM by Webmaster »

Frumunda

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »
Love the handle.

;D Yes,I have a rather warped sense of humor! ;D I'm thinking goat milk should make a fine swiss maybe?

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »
Howdy Road Rash and welcome to the forum.

Lots of people around the world here making goat milk based cheese! But I don't know about Swiss . . .

Edited by webmaster.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:05:04 PM by Webmaster »

Frumunda

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:42:19 PM »
Is this because goat milk isn't as suitable for swiss cheese as cow's milk for some reason?

Frumunda

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »
Oh yeah,I forgot to ask,what kind of cheese would be recomended for a beginner?And as I don't have my goats yet,cow milk cheeses will do fine as well! ;D

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:38:48 AM »
Is this because goat milk isn't as suitable for swiss cheese as cow's milk for some reason?

Hold yer horses, err... goats, there partner, Swiss is a tough cheese to make.  If you search through the forums I'm sure you'll find much wailing and gnashing of teeth (from me as well) in regards to swiss.  Before jumping in, I would recommend probably starting here: http://cheeseforum.org/Making/Making.htm.  I think it's a good idea to get a strong handle on the process, if for no other reason than to know what is going wrong :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:44:50 AM »
Thx belgianpanda ;D.

Road Rash, a few of us pitched in and built this post for those of us new to making cheese. Many of us here use this forum to keep our records including problems tricks and traps, also helps others, and the beauty is it's anonymous ;D!

Edited by webmaster.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:05:27 PM by Webmaster »

Frumunda

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:25:18 AM »

Hold yer horses, err... goats, there partner, Swiss is a tough cheese to make.  If you search through the forums I'm sure you'll find much wailing and gnashing of teeth (from me as well) in regards to swiss.  Before jumping in, I would recommend probably starting here: http://cheeseforum.org/Making/Making.htm.  I think it's a good idea to get a strong handle on the process, if for no other reason than to know what is going wrong :)

Ok,sooooooo.........any suggestions for a 'starter' cheese? ???

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:39:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum Road Rash.

Edited by webmaster.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:05:59 PM by Webmaster »

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:20:22 AM »
There are lots and lots.  I suggest going through some of the ones in John's post and see if they interest you.  Also, near the bottom of the forum is the 'Methods' section, you can take a look through there as well.  What kind of equipment do you have already?

Frumunda

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »
I made Queso Blanco last night!I took lots of pictures too!I'll post them in a bit and let everyone know how it turned out! ;D

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »
Awesome!  How did it taste?  Soon you will be able to impress all yer friends with your cheese making skills :)

Frumunda

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:06:28 PM »
I added some garlic salt and herbs to it.It was a little too much on the garlic salt,but still edible,so I'm calling it a success anyway!I screwed it up,but,hey,that's why they call it 'learning'! ;D

Here's all the gory details: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1446.0.html

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 12:41:57 AM »
Welcome, goat swiss would be interesting, but goad cheese has it's own problems because it's naturally homogenized. I would encourge you to make it but start off with cow's milk, then move on to an easy goat then when you've got that down work on the goat swiss, then patent it and become rich. In that order though, I tried to go to the last step first, and be rich, but it didn't work. The guard at the bank wasn't amused.

For a beginner cheese try Colby, Jack or even Stilton. Stilton looks hard but it's really forgiving, you really don't even need to go into PH and all that.

What kind of cheeses do you enjoy?