Author Topic: Mold under bandaging  (Read 1652 times)

Nigel Dilley

Mold under bandaging
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:51:44 PM »
Hi all, 
I have 2 bandaged Cheddars on the go at the moment and both have been maturing for a little over 2 months, I know mold growth is expected on the outside of the wraps, however, there is blackish mold developing underneath the bandaging, should I strip & wash it, then re-bandage or should I leave it?  Thanks

Stinky

Re: Mold under bandaging
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:12:27 PM »
I had this problem as well. I'd say strip it. If you think the inside of the cheese will be fine, rebandage using way more lard or butter. Slather it on there.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 12:13:37 AM »
Yo! what Stinky says..... 8)

Hi Nigel,  Welcome to the Forum... I always bandage my cheddars and there will always be mould - sorry but .... help is at hand.  One of the issues when 'hand bandaging' is that sometimes there is not enough sacrificial layers of cloth and lard applied.  I'm a three layer guy.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13778.0.html
Don't be discouraged by the appearance of the mould.. they can get quite scary looking but with enough layers - minimum of 3 :), it will come out like this.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10377.0.html
Finally here is the unveiling of my 9 month Cheddar.  Note that as the layers come off so does the mould.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13721.0.html

If you are concerned you can always strip it, clean it down well, let it dry and make sure that no mold has survived the washing - and rebandage it..  It will be good.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Nigel Dilley

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »
Thanks for your help guys

@Mal, I think I've actually learned more from your posts than from any cheese making books I've read so far, I'll definitely use 3 layers from now on, as for the lard I think I used a good 1/2 pound on each one, but you can never have too much fat, as these are my first 2 cheeses, I think I'll chalk this up to experience and strip/wash them (just in case). I'll be knocking up a couple more wheels come the Easter weekend, so wish me luck.

Cheers Nigel.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:09:45 PM »
Thanks Nigel, I appreciate that.. Maybe sometimes the simple act of doing complements what you read.  The other forum members have an amazing range of experiences of which I'm humbled to be able to add mine. 

Hope to see more of your cheese.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

trooperbill

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »
I had this problem as well. I'd say strip it. If you think the inside of the cheese will be fine, rebandage using way more lard or butter. Slather it on there.
yeah strip it back and apply a liberal amount of fat... get a good airtight seal.

Nigel Dilley

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:01:17 AM »
Hi All

Just a quick update, both cheddars were striped, washed and re-bandaged (I think I used about a kilo of lard on these two), they're now happily maturing in the cave.

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
Hurrah! Congratulations!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
They look good a cheese for your efforts.  8)  (And I accidentally gave Stinky one as well.  :o )

-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »
Thank you!  :D I'm sure I deserved it some way or another.  ::)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 04:36:18 PM »
Nigel: A cheese for you... :)