Author Topic: Stinky's Emmentaler #2  (Read 3591 times)

Stinky

Stinky's Emmentaler #2
« on: March 27, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
Oooookay. This was my best make ever, it was rolling along perfectly, everything was hunky dory, I was finishing up stirring the curds after cutting them and before brewing them, and I remember I forgot to put in PS.

I put an eighth teaspoon in right away just in case, but...

Help?

My questions are as follows:

Will the PS work?
If not, what can I call this cheese?

Ingredients:
1 1/2 gal. 2% milk
1/2 gal whole milk
1/8 tsp. PS
1/4 tsp. Thermo C
1/2 tsp. CaCl2
1/2 tsp. calf rennet

1/8 tsp. PS

7:54 Started heating milk
7:56 Added Themo C to heating milk, whisked in a while later
8:23 Reached 91º, ripen for 15 minutes
8:39 Added CaCl2 and Rennet, finishing at
8:43 Floc 10 minutes which is perfect for Alp's 30 minutes target
9:13 Start cutting curds to 1 inch, then stir gently with saucers while cutting huge chunks up
9:20 Finished, stir gently with whisk to get curds to 1/4 inch over 10 minutes
9:30 Stir for 20, remember PS at end and add it
9:50 Stir while raising to 124º
10:23 Reached 124º, press lightly under whey
10:31 Flipped
10:42 Flipped

Pictures to come.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:57:02 PM by Stinky »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Stinky's Emmentaler #2
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:20:23 PM »
Stinky, I'd just call it an Alpine-style -- remember that many (most?) alpines do not have holes.

If it had been me, I would have been tempted to try sprinkling a bit of PS on the curds as they went into the mold, rather than adding them to the pot -- I'd be afraid the PS would run out with the whey at that stage. But keep in mind I am speaking from the comfort of sheer ignorance ... :)
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »
Stinky, I'd just call it an Alpine-style -- remember that many (most?) alpines do not have holes.

If it had been me, I would have been tempted to try sprinkling a bit of PS on the curds as they went into the mold, rather than adding them to the pot -- I'd be afraid the PS would run out with the whey at that stage. But keep in mind I am speaking from the comfort of sheer ignorance ... :)

But Alpine-style sounds dull and I'm fairly sure there's another cheese which I basically made that Alp can tell me about.  ;)

Also, adding the pictures right now.

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 08:28:37 PM »
Call it a Raclette or a Gruyere or a Stinky 2.2-----Shakespeare said it best----" A cheese by any other name, would taste as sweet" ;)
Qdog 

Kern

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 12:50:53 AM »

I agree with Dr. Awake and speak with the same amount of sheer ignorance.  Putting the PS on the curds will get them included in the cheese albeit probably not as well dispersed as they would have been put at the right time in the cheese milk.  Putting them in the pot after rennetting and cutting will likely get them washed away.   :-\

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:09 AM »
Yeah, I don't know. I'm sure it'll taste good either way. We'll see.  :-\

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 08:55:28 AM »
I have maðe one just like it without PS. :-)

I think that it will be ready in about two months. I'll let you know how it tastes. PS also affects the taste (nutty flavor).

:-) Danbo

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
I have maðe one just like it without PS. :-)

I think that it will be ready in about two months. I'll let you know how it tastes. PS also affects the taste (nutty flavor).

:-) Danbo

Yeah, that's what I'm worrying about. I think I'll wait until I know for sure whether it will swell or not and if it doesn't wax it. Not willing to give it the space I would an Emmentaler.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »
How about Montasio? I've seen a pretty wide variety of recipes for Montasio, including a few with some PS added, but most do not include the PS, and could generally be described as an alpine style. The one-and-only-so-far Montasio I made was absolutely delicious at 3 months; not the same taste as the swiss/emmentaler styles I have made, but in the same family with a nutty, sweet flavor.

Which reminds me that I BADLY need to make another and get it into the cave. And I need to make another cheddar or three and get them aging. Oh, yes, and I need to make another swiss/emmentaler.

Sigh. So much cheese needing to be made -- needing, I say, not just a matter of mere desire on my part -- but so little time, and the cave is starting to run out of room ...
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
And make a Manchego.

See, the thing is that I did make a Montasio-last week.  ;)

Alpkäserei

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
This should be a six month cheese. It is much like Gruyere.
I doubt PS will grow, but it could have colonized the curd.

Stinky

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »
This should be a six month cheese. It is much like Gruyere.
I doubt PS will grow, but it could have colonized the curd.

Okay, thank you! You're awesome.  ;D

I think I'll wash this a few days, and then let it dry before waxing to make space for a real Emmental

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 07:45:30 PM »
Propionic Shermani, like Penicillium Roqueforti, is a bacteria.  There is a very good chance that it will grow in the cheese just as blue does.  It probably won't give you the exact result you were hoping for though.  Should be fine.  I've never made a cheese I couldn't eat and I dare say you'll be happy eating this one. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
Of course, you know I'll wax this one and make another one and this one will practically explode because it will have so much PS that I have to throw away all my other cheese to make room.