Author Topic: Which cultures to choose??? Aroma B, Flora Danica, or Porbat 222.  (Read 6650 times)

qdog1955

Re: Which cultures to choose??? Aroma B, Flora Danica, or Porbat 222.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:40:22 AM »
Kern----previous post might be of interest   http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13243.msg102064.html#msg102064
Qdog

Kern

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:52:57 PM »
Kern----previous post might be of interest   http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13243.msg102064.html#msg102064
Qdog

Woh!  My packet did not have that sticker!  It makes sense as I think about it.  Thanks for pointing it out.   :D  One quarter teaspoon of little spheres is going to hold less
that one quarter teaspoon of the little buggers crushed up, that's for sure.  As I think back over the batch and toss in a piece of information I didn't have when I wrote my post:  I screwed the batch up further when I more or less pitched the curds rather than dumping everything from the vat into the draining cloth on the colander.  This affected the way the curds knit in the hung bag.  When I cut the ball in half for the brine it had many voids and open areas that the other two batched did not have.  So I think that the higher pH may be due to not crushing the Flora Danica & not having enough whey in the curd to supply the bacteria with enough lactose to make lactic acid.  Flora, baby, can you ever forgive me for accusing you of being weak?   ;)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 03:09:02 AM »
Oh I love Flora - she really does nice things in my Malemberts. Nice buttery flavors, wee tiny holes and wonderful mouth feel.  The MO 036R from Sacco does a great job in open texture cheese like Caerphilly and Fetta.

I never thought in my wildest dreams would I be involved in a discussion about the qualities of the various bacteria but there you go - cheese making !

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Kern

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »
Oh I love Flora - she really does nice things in my Malemberts. Nice buttery flavors, wee tiny holes and wonderful mouth feel.  The MO 036R from Sacco does a great job in open texture cheese like Caerphilly and Fetta.

I never thought in my wildest dreams would I be involved in a discussion about the qualities of the various bacteria but there you go - cheese making !

Looks like this is National Bacteria Week.  Let's all take a bacteria out to dinner tonight!   8)

bratrules1

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 03:06:16 AM »
Well I just received a shipment today from artisan geek containing my SACCO LYOFAST MW 036 R and a manchego mould  ;). What I want to know is that for the SACCO LYOFAST MW 036 R is the dose the same as Flora Danica or Aroma B?? BTW I cant wait to try out the mould hopefully i'll have a chance this week sometime!!