Author Topic: First Butterkase with a Little Difference?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: First Butterkase with a Little Difference?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »
Looks good - let it age a bit more. I don't think that it will become very strong but the taste will become more complex. A cheese for you. :)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
Thanks Danbo!  I vacuum packed 3/4s of it to age ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »
Yeah. Let it age out longer. You should be pleasantly surprised. The rind does look beautiful, though.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »
I took a quarter of this cheese, back when I cut it, and vacuum packed it.  Last night I opened it and the brandy smell was extraordinary!! I tasted some on a cracker and was surprised at the outstanding taste it had taken on.  I know this is basically a fresh cheese but 7 months in a vacuum pack did wonders for it.  Not sure how well it would fare without the brandy, as it had taken on all of the subtleties of the brandy's flavors, but it does great with it!! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Duntov

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »
I too let my Butterkase age longer than normal and was surprised at the results.  It retained it texture and smoothness but became much more complex with a slight sharpness but still an Alpine style.  I will be making more for sure.

valley ranch

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »
My folks use to make a cheese, not unlike this you've shown. When severing it, mom would put slices on a plate and sprinkle it lightly with salt.

I liked the brandy bathing, even though you said it added little or nothing, when the movie is made, we'll keep the Cognac in one scene.

Just wondering, there's been mention of the use of pH meter. Did you use on with this cheese or do you use one at times?