Author Topic: Spammers  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Spammers
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »
Would the webmaster please block the ip address of this clown that keeps spamming or at least give me the necessary administrator permissions to delete their posts.  It is getting beyond annoying.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

Re: Spammers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:48 PM »
I second this. It might be a good idea to have a few moderators to just make sure this stays clear. Maybe a few per continent so that all the time zones are covered?

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:12:04 PM »
The main trouble is it is not one group doing the spamming.
The forum I am a moderator on gets spam in waves, one week it's china, the next it's indonesia etc...
We have the power to "ban as spammer" but the admins need to block the IP's. It's a never ending job as new ones pop up all the time.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:19:24 PM »
Yeah, Bill.  I use to be an admin on Flying Circus and I could block IP addresses as well as individuals .  Usually an IP address included about a 2 block area. This clown MikeSr is out of Singapore.  Shouldn't be a problem locating him.

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »
He is a persistent little ...... I take it the admin is busy elsewhere. How many moderators are there on the forums?

Shane

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »
He is a persistent little ...... I take it the admin is busy elsewhere. How many moderators are there on the forums?

Shane

There's the one.

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 01:20:32 AM »
That's quite some work then for one person. I agree with your suggestion about mods in different timezones.

Shane

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 02:48:36 AM »
I totally agree as well.  >:(

Although I have to take my hat of to the admin as he has a lot to do, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that this is a really great forum.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:09:31 AM by Schnecken Slayer »
-Bill

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 03:24:30 PM »
Couldn't agree more Bill.

felku

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
I used to be a spammer(shame past) a good solution to this case is too add a new layer of captcha. Difficult ones, it will reduce a lot the spam since this most of this type of spam are made by bots that break simple captcha.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:39:47 AM »
Over on another forum we have a wave of spammers at the moment and they are spoofing their IP address as 127.0.0.1 so that they cannot be blocked.
-Bill

John@PC

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:59:39 PM »
I used to be a spammer(shame past) a good solution to this case is too add a new layer of captcha. Difficult ones, it will reduce a lot the spam since this most of this type of spam are made by bots that break simple captcha.
I saw your post felku and thanks for the self disclosure (and a cheese for that for helping with the spamming issue).   For the benefit of those of us that aren't spammers what is "a new layer of captcha"?  And what is captcha (assuming it's not a cheese :)).

shaneb

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
Captcha are those annoying pictures of distorted letters, words and sometimes photos overlayed on patterns which are almost as impossible for us humans to read as for computers to interpret. I hate them with a pattern. I think the early captcha were easier for us to read, but the software caught up to the point where it could read it also.

I can't recall if this forum uses either on registration.

Shane

felku

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
Thanks for explaining Shane. Don't remember if I filled captchas but there is also services that put the captchas instead of software. I tried to register again and the captchas that are been used right now are kind of easy to break. I think it should be change to the Shane example one that is call re-captcha and is the most difficult captcha to break because this is use by Google and it have a technology to block ip. So most spammers tend to search for a more easy captcha that could be break by a bot.

Another thing that could be made is to prevent links for members with less that certain post. So members with 0 or 1 post can't post a link , that discourage spammers a lot.