Author Topic: Hi All from sunny NT, Aus  (Read 2335 times)

bonk

Hi All from sunny NT, Aus
« on: April 23, 2009, 06:49:35 AM »
Hi All,

just found the forum and have been reading away and hopefully learning lots at the same time.

not sure where to post these questions so if its the wrong spot, please let me know and i'll move them into the right sections.

being from the lovely hot tropics i'm keen to make cheese but think the tropical weather is against me.  i've made some basic cheeses and have some kits coming up.  trying for a camembert cheese with any luck.

i've got a fridge to mature the cheese and the kit contains a tuppaware container to get the humidity going.  do i need to put some water in the bottom or spray cooled boiled water in there to keep the lvls up?  or will the cheese do that itself?

my next question is, setting temp.  my room temp is around 30-34C can i let the milk warm up to room temp and add rennet, starter etc as per the instructions?

thanks for helping !

Rich

Re: Hi All from sunny NT, Aus
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »
G'day mate,

I don't think you'll have to worry about humidity.  The tropics seem to have a great deal of that in the "naturally occurring state."  If you're brand new at cheese making, I'd recommend you start with something easier than camembert.  You said you had a kit coming, so I'm guessing you'll have a press.  You might try a Manchego first.  Its simple to make, and only requires a week (minimum) to age; so you can sample your work fairly quickly and have feedback right away before your next cheese.  The techniques are similar to other cheeses, so you'll gain that experience.  Also, you won't need to air dry or wax prior to aging.  A tip:  even though its a very short aging time, its very important to turn the wheel at least daily in your fridge. And another tip:  its for fun, so enjoy it.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »
G'day Bonk and welcome to the forum! I believe you are the first one from Northern Territory so I've just added a Geographic > Australia > Northern Territory Board in case you want to post anything local. We now have members from 6 of the 8 Ozzie States/Territories, just missing WA & Tas :D.

On cheeses, good points from Rich, to add, even after gravity draining or pressing depending on cheese type, the cheese will still be expelling enough moisture to give you 100% humidity if you close it in the plastic box, so the problem for you will be how much to crack the lid to have have the recipe's required normally very high humidity yet not too much. For that you need a humidity gauge, or if none then by feel. For me if lots of condensation, then too much, if minimal condensation on container, then too little, and need to add a tablespoon water.

If the recipe you are using calls for 30-34 C then you should be good to go, many members here like to warm their milk slowly, so your room temp should be ideal, as long as it doesn't take hours and hours.

Lots of us here use this forum to record our cheese making batches, also help others with our tricks and traps, some of my failures are very picturesque ;D.

Good luck and watch out for those crocs!

bonk

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:58:25 PM »

thanks for the replies.  I'll have a look at the manchego and see if i can get the goods for it and have a crack at it.

again, thanks and hopefully i'll be able to make a decent cheese along the way  ;D

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:26:56 AM »
Welcome to cheesemaking and to the forum!  No advice here, but I look forward to hearing about your adventures in cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 01:47:31 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of cheese Bonk.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:15 AM »
I like the name, it's the sound my head makes when I'm in the shop too long. Welcome.

bonk

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 01:04:48 AM »
lol, thanks for all the friendly welcomes.  hopefully i'll be able to post some cheese results soon !

Tea

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »
Good morning Bonk and welcome to the forum.  I'm from sunny north Qld.