Author Topic: Testing curds  (Read 2979 times)

Stinky

Testing curds
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »
The method where you test to see if you can turn your hand upside down and the curds stick-- does it apply to every cheese? I checked Caldwell out from the library and she was not very specific.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Testing curds
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »
I think you would be disappointed with that test if you were making a brie or camembert ... :)
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:24:48 AM »
The method where you test to see if you can turn your hand upside down and the curds stick-- does it apply to every cheese? I checked Caldwell out from the library and she was not very specific.
I agree with Awakephd but maybe a good rule of thumb for most pressed cheeses?  Personally I use a spatula to press against the corner of the pan to judge readiness.

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:58:36 AM »
I agree with John who agrees with Awakephd ;)

Yeah, it would apply to most pressed cheese but with the exception of the uncooked ones like Lancashire.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:05:07 AM »
I agree with John who agrees with Awakephd ;)

Yeah, it would apply to most pressed cheese but with the exception of the uncooked ones like Lancashire.

Is your pH target different with cheddared cheeses?

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »
Is your pH target different with cheddared cheeses?

Depends on the cheeses and which step the PH target is at and what profile you want in the end. Even cheddarred cheeses are different from among each other. For instance:

Cheddar : 6.2@drain, 5.3@salt (I like it a bit flexible as opposed to crumbly)
Lancashire: 6.5@drain, 5.8@salt (Lancashire is a bit out of the norm)
Compared to a washed curd Gouda: 6.5@drain, 5.45@brine

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 03:58:45 AM »
For testing the readiness of curd I usually use a few methods, and actually in this order....
Pressing the curd against the side of the pan with the spoon
Eating some curd to check for mouth feel and springyness
Squeezing some curds into a ball and seeing if the curds can separate back into individual curds
Pressing the curds into a flat shape between my two hands and squeezing out all the liquid, and seeing if it sticks to my top hand
If it is a higher temp cooked curd from Peter Dixon class I learned to squeeze a lump of curds until all the liquid is out, and then feel how resilient and springy the mass of curd is.
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:52:00 AM »
For testing the readiness of curd I usually use a few methods, and actually in this order....
Pressing the curd against the side of the pan with the spoon
Eating some curd to check for mouth feel and springyness
Squeezing some curds into a ball and seeing if the curds can separate back into individual curds
Pressing the curds into a flat shape between my two hands and squeezing out all the liquid, and seeing if it sticks to my top hand
If it is a higher temp cooked curd from Peter Dixon class I learned to squeeze a lump of curds until all the liquid is out, and then feel how resilient and springy the mass of curd is.
Susan, are you checking the curds or bonding with them? ::)  Good tips all, thanks.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:01:45 AM »
John, since I frequently stir the curds with my hand (gloved) rather than a spoon, I would say you are not far from wrong. Bonding is probably how it is!!
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 10:09:29 PM »
Either that or mind curd melding.

Spoons

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »
Either that or mind curd melding.
Was that a Trekie joke on a cheese board?

How about stirring them thermo cheeses by hand Susan? Now that's a bonding test! ;)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
Must be a part of the reason I don't do as many thermo cheeses.... just too hot to handle!
Susan