Author Topic: Jarlsberg take two  (Read 5818 times)

shaneb

Re: Jarlsberg take two
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 11:03:52 AM »
Yeah, I think so. It seems to be difficult to buy down here. It is available, but either seems extremely expensive. From memory $60 for a few grams. Large quantities were in the hundreds of dollars.

After I cut the cheese open, I put it back into the cave to air. I've just had a whiff now, and it is not as bad. Maybe cheese like with a slight pong of smelly feet. I'll see if I'm game enough to try again tomorrow unless someone says dump it. I don't really feel like food poisoning after having been on what must be a lifetime supply of antibiotics in the past 6 months. My stomach is already trashed....

Thanks.

Shane

qdog1955

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
Shane----remember the old saying " If in doubt throw it out "  especially if you have health issues---notably, compromised immune system. I'm not a Doctor, I just pretend to be one on the forum  >:D
Qdog

Kern

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
Looks to me like it could be late blowing.  Is the paste soft and squishy in addition to being smelly?

shaneb

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 01:33:41 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll bin it as I'm not confident enough to eat it. The paste is different in the centre of the cheese. I wouldn't say it's necessarily squishy, but it is certainly a different texture to the outer portion. I've looked back at photos of my first failed Jarlsberg and it's very similar internally. That was a late blowing also. For now I think I'll give that recipe a miss until I can get some Lysozyme. I found the prices again. AUD$60 for 3 grams or AUD$206 for 500g. It's very pricey stuff.

Shane
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:56:10 AM by Shane »

qdog1955

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 10:16:47 AM »
I use the stuff the wine makers use---supposed to be the same, and cheaper and only requires .41 grams in 4 gallons. Not sure about Aussie dollars---but that does seem high.
Qdog

shaneb

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 11:02:12 AM »
Yeah, this is from wine supply companies too. Maybe it's not used as much here, or not readily available in online stores. I'll check around local wine making stores. I'm close to wine making areas, but I'm not sure I'll have access to their suppliers.

I actually made a mistake in my previous post. It was actually 5 grams, not 3 grams for that amount of money. It sounds like I don't actually need much then. That would dose around 180L (48 gal) of milk. AUD $60 = USD $44. It doesn't sound too bad I guess. Obviously the bigger pack is a lot cheaper, but somehow I don't think I'll get through 500g.....

Shane

Kern

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 12:46:34 AM »
I think you'll do better if you look around a bit.  I bought 150 grams for $39.95 from a US seller of wine making supplies.  It is used in wine to help prevent secondary fermentation.  Lysozyme is a natural product obtained from egg whites.  It is also present in human tears.  I guess you could cry over the milk as you fill the vat.  The mechanism is interesting:  The Lysozyme attaches to casein (that's why you disolve and add it as you fill the vat), which is attacked by any present late blowing bacterial.  It is a product that may also be found in health food products.  Most comes from Europe and I doubt that the Aussie government prevents its import.  Dig a little more.

shaneb

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 01:07:32 AM »
Thanks Kern. I think importing from the US may be the easiest way. That price is excellent. Was it from www.morebeer.com? It seems they do international shipping.

Shane

Kern

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 11:07:31 PM »
I got mine from a wine and beer supplier in California.  Name escapes me right now.

shaneb

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 01:12:22 AM »
That's okay. I got a delivery estimate on that website and it was USD$50. I'll keep looking....

Shane

Kern

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 04:43:34 AM »
I'm tempted to say that I could slip a few grams in a baggie and mail it to you.  I suspect that if I did this though some inspector would think it was cocaine and the feds would come knocking at our respective doors at 2:00am.  I'm amazed at the cost to "ship" it.  Mine is in a foil pouch about 4 x 6 inches.  One could probably put the pouch in a small padded envelope and air mail it to you for less than $10.

shaneb

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 04:53:53 AM »
Thanks Kern. Yeah it'll either be someone at the door early in the morning, or an airport being locked down due to a suspicious white powder.  ::) I'll keep looking. It's not terribly desperate for the moment. I suspect whatever has caused the late blowing, has thrived during the warm phase of this cheeses life. I haven't had the issue on anything else. I'll still contact some local Aussie wine stores. I haven't actually done that yet. I'd focused on online stores. I'll let you know how I go on my search.

Shane

Kern

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2015, 01:10:25 AM »
Here's the link to the Lysozyme I bought.

http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/15499//Lysozyme_-_150g

They were easy to work with.  Drop them an e-mail.  Maybe they've shipped this to Australia.

shaneb

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 02:27:59 AM »
Thanks Kern. I think that must be the same store as the one I posted, but with a different URL. The price and shipping are the same. When I get a chance I'll start ringing around locally. I actually have a friend who has started making fruit wines, so maybe he'll know where I might get some.

Shane