Author Topic: Beaufort---with a bad attitude  (Read 1402 times)

qdog1955

Beaufort---with a bad attitude
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:53:56 PM »
  Made a 6 gallon Beaufort----3 gal. raw, 3gal. whole P/H milk mix-----this past weekend. This cheese just had a bad attitude right from the git-go.  The recipe was based mostly on an old Sailor recipe, with a few changes----mostly brought about by the bad attitude. Did I mention the BAD ATTITUDE?  >:D
  First---the curd wouldn't set-----after almost two hours, figuring I have nothing to lose-----added a tsp. of rennet in a 1/4 cup water. Waited another hour and finally got a set----not great, but better then nothing.
  Proceeded with the make and all was well until the PH dropped from 6.28 to 4.87 in less then an hour, while in the press----was checking every hour, and all a sudden ZAP!!
  Try to remove cheese cloth and it's welded to the cheese-----never had one stick that bad, and yes, cloth was soaked in vinegar and salt first.
Finally get cloth off without to much damage-----now what do I do? This cheese was supposed to sit for 24 hours before brining, but I'm thinking if the ph is already that low, maybe I should brine now----so I did. God only knows what this will end up like------wait and see.
  Sorry, only have a couple pics of finished cheese. But there is a couple pics from the cheese family reunion-----that's Aunt Raclette on the left, and Uncle Gruyere in the back and that's cousin Beaufort on the right. :)
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Beaufort---with a bad attitude
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
Well, it looks good! And so does your mesh tent (couldn't find a word for it)! :-)

Kern

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »
Sorry, QDog but thanks for the explanation.  When I first glanced at the top two photos I thought I was finally losing my eye sight.  Now I realize it was only draining mat!  8)

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:17:41 AM »
Danbo-----don't know what to call it either-----but when I'm air drying a cheese, there's this thing called bugs----some have six legs, some have eight and some have four limbs ( also known as Grandchildren ) I love the pesty kids----the others, not so much ;)
Qdog