Author Topic: Over heated milk  (Read 759 times)

rnorvell80

Over heated milk
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
I was making a mozzarella cheese. I over heated my milk but everything was put it, citric acid, rennet. I was only supposed to heat it to 89*F and I heated it to 115 by accident. I let it set for 30 min like the instructions said. At the end of the 30 min. the curd didn't separate. It looked like it may have curdled a little bit. I poured it in a cheese cloth squeezed out liquid and covered it for about 50 hours in a dark place. Is this going to be good???

Stinky

Re: Over heated milk
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »
I'd suggest next time just letting the milk cool back down to 90 degrees again. You can have lots of problems trying things at higher temperatures.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Over heated milk
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
Too much heat can deactivate the rennet -- that might be what happened. That said, a great many of us on this forum have had poor success with the so-called 30-minute mozzarella (ie, made with citric acid) -- even with the "right" temps, I've had the result come out more like ricotta than like moz. Also, the type of milk makes a big difference -- make sure you are not using ultra-pasteurized milk. That is guaranteed not to work at all. :(
-- Andy