Author Topic: What causes barrel shape and is it ok?  (Read 1634 times)

Sarahal88

What causes barrel shape and is it ok?
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:11:18 AM »
Very new to cheese, I'm still repeat making this farmhouse cheddar recipe over and over again trying to get it right. My first one had some problems but my partner insisted it was 'not too bad.' I thought it was horribly bitter and not safe to eat but he ate it anyway and he is still with us.

Number two is perfectly cylinder shaped and aging normally. Should be ready to try soon.

Number three very quickly turned into a barrel shape. Otherwise it seems ok so far. It is air drying right now at 80-90% humidity and about 57 degrees. It acquired the barrel shape almost right away.

What causes this and does it signal a problem?

Some info about the difference between # 2 and #3(barrel). I used different milks - #2 was pasteurized at a high temperature and there was a lot of shattering in the curds. #3 I switched to a low temp pasteurized milk, added CaCl and had a much firmer curd. Both were pressed at 10 lbs for 10 minutes, 20 lbs for 10 minutes, then 50 lbs for 12 hours in a 2 lb mold.  Attempt #1 also had the barrel shape but was cracking and weeping early on during air drying AND later after waxing. I know it was air dried at far too low humidity.

Also while we're at it, can someone describe what the cheese should feel like when done air drying and ready to wax?

Thanks!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: What causes barrel shape and is it ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but I would suspect late blowing: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13965.msg106825.html#msg106825

:-) Danbo

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
Typically if the curd has retained enough whey the weight of the cheese will cause the sides to expand out as the top sinks creating the barrel shape.  It's not a problem however the cheese will take much longer to dry out and age properly with the additional whey in the curd.  Most of the semi-hard cheeses will do this if you make a big enough cheese.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Sarahal88

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »
I will take a picture when I get home.
Danbo,
Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but I would suspect late blowing: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13965.msg106825.html#msg106825

Would it be late blowing even the shape emerged on the first day of air drying?

Typically if the curd has retained enough whey the weight of the cheese will cause the sides to expand out as the top sinks creating the barrel shape.  It's not a problem however the cheese will take much longer to dry out and age properly with the additional whey in the curd.  Most of the semi-hard cheeses will do this if you make a big enough cheese.
Al Lewis, How long should I try to air dry this cheese?

I suspect retaining too much whey may be the issue, because I have a lot of trouble with temperature control when I get to the point in the recipe where I slowly heat from 90F to 100F. The temperature was achieved but I felt like the curds didn't shrink enough.  Even though I felt I did a better job than usual heating slowly. Also, I may not have cut my curds small enough, which could also cause too much retention of whey, I think?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 04:15:56 PM »
You will probably find that as you flip this one the bottom will always be moist or wet for quite some time.  You have to air dry it until the outside dries enough to form the same rind as the regular one.  This will just take longer due to the whey moving to the bottom every time you flip it.  It may not take much longer than the good one depending on the amount of whey it has retained.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »
Yes, please post an image...

Late blowing happens much later - I think that Al is right. :-)

From my experience late blowing create more swelling on the top and bottom of the cheese than the barrel look.

Sorry that I didn't read your post properly.

:-) Danbo

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 12:44:18 AM »
I would guess that when the curds shattered in make # 2, you lost a lot more whey; when they were firmer in make # 3, you retained more whey.

Within reason, a certain amount of barrel shape is not necessarily a bad thing. After all, I've been barrel shaped for years ... :)
-- Andy