Author Topic: Suggested make?  (Read 1294 times)

albinosamoan

Suggested make?
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:40:16 AM »
I've got 2 gallons of low fat(2%) and a gallon of whole p/h milks. I've got a new press that I'm itching to try out, and for starters, I have cultured buttermilk ice cubes, flor danica, a thermophilic (C201), a mesophilic(C101) and can throw in some lipase if needed. This will be my 8th make, 3 successes (feta, whey ricotta, and a mostly mozzarella) and 5 "learners"(mostly mozzarella, plus some Finnish bread cheese that started with an L).
 I know there is no bulletproof recipe, but what might you recommend for a newbie who could really use a cheese in the win column before he gives it all up and goes back to strictly charcuterie?

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Suggested make?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
Caerphilly is a favourite. Tastes good, not hard to make and, best of all, can be enjoyed after as little as 3 weeks after making.
- Andrew

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:39:47 PM »
I agree with Andrew about Caerphilly.  It also should be a good companion with your sausage. 

And a 3-5-0 record for cheesemaking is pretty darn good!  No doubt your batting average will go up :)!

albinosamoan

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:03:49 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to find some Caerphilly to try, but no such luck. although I did find some gjetost! That was as caramel-y and awesome as I imagined it would be. I was leaning towards a havarti, but I will defer to you whom have made more cheese than I. 3-5-0 would seem adequate if I wasn't comparing it to about 98-2-2 with my salami/salumi. I'll try the Caerphilly, using your make notes John@PC, I believe it was your #5. I seem to have everything I need for that one. But tomorrow. I just encased an eye round roast in pulverized fenugreek seeds and garlic to make an Egyptian pastrami, and the smell is overpowering. I might have to rub some Limburger under my nose to get through it.
Thanks again.
Brian

albinosamoan

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 04:31:23 AM »
My apologies, the make notes were from scasnerkay, not John@PC. Credit where credit is due...

Kern

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:54:46 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to find some Caerphilly to try, but no such luck. although I did find some gjetost! That was as caramel-y and awesome as I imagined it would be. I was leaning towards a havarti, but I will defer to you whom have made more cheese than I. 3-5-0 would seem adequate if I wasn't comparing it to about 98-2-2 with my salami/salumi. I'll try the Caerphilly, using your make notes John@PC, I believe it was your #5. I seem to have everything I need for that one. But tomorrow. I just encased an eye round roast in pulverized fenugreek seeds and garlic to make an Egyptian pastrami, and the smell is overpowering. I might have to rub some Limburger under my nose to get through it.

I like your attitude, Brian.  I also like Anchorage.  At the risk of sullying your awesome record of 6/0 of posts to cheeses I am awarding you with your first cheese.  ;)