Author Topic: Cambozola #1 4/1/15 Make  (Read 6628 times)

LoftyNotions

Cambozola #1 4/1/15 Make
« on: April 02, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »
If ever there was a cheese at cross-purposes, this is it. Develop blue mold on the inside, but only white mold on the outside. Maintain air space in the internal curd for blue development, yet keep a relatively smooth surface outside. Make it bluey, but make it gooey. :) Age it enough to develop some blue character, but not so much that it ammoniates and liquefies.

This is my first attempt at balancing all the factors necessary to get a product that somewhat satisfies both sets of criteria. It might be a total failure, but hopefully we’ll have enough information to know what direction to head next time. Whatever it turns out to be, chances are it’ll be edible.

I borrowed heavily from Jim Wallace’s Camblu recipe on the NEC site, and tweaked it a bit toward getting a little more blue. Time will tell…

Ingredients

3 gallons creamline milk
1 qt. heavy cream
4 or 5 cubes Flora Danica
45 drops rennet
¾ tsp 30% CaCl
Penicillium roqueforti
1/8 rounded tsp Penicillium candidum
1/32 rounded tsp Geotrichum candidum
2% salt

Process

Heat milk and cream to 90°F.
While heating add CaCl
When up to temperature, add Flora Danica. Let sit for 30 minutes, or until pH drops approx. 0.1
Add rennet. Floc time _12_minutes. X6 multiplier= _72_ until cut. (This was a little fast. I’ll cut rennet back to 40 drops next time).
Cut curds to ¾ to 1 inch. Rest 5 minutes and slowly stir for about 30 to 45 minutes. Curd should have some skin. Drain curd, but don’t let settle and clump. (pH at this point was 6.45).
Fill 4 molds (Reblochon approximately 1/3 full. Lightly sprinkle a little P. roqueforti on the curds in the molds. Keep away from the outsides.
Add more curd and sprinkle as above until out of curd. (I took about 45 minutes to complete filling the molds. There were 4 layers, with P.candidum in 3 levels, about 1/32 tsp total between 4 cheeses at each level).
Place board over followers and use 1 ea. 3 pound weight centered between the 4 cheeses.
Flip cheeses every ½ hour to hour until bedtime. Keep at room temperature.
Day 2, unmold and salt 1 side of each cheese with 1% of its weight of salt. Put back in form with salt side up. After 8 to 12 hours, flip cheese and salt other sides with additional 1% of cheese weight in salt. Return to molds at room temperature.
Day 3 Unmold cheeses and place in drying room at 60°F, 60 to 75% humidity. Flip cheeses often.
Day 4 Move cheeses to 55°F, 85%RH. Perforate both sides of cheeses. Keep flipping often.
Day 6 Mix 100 grams non chlorinated water, 4 grams salt, GC and PC in a spray bottle. Let sit overnight refrigerated.
Day 7 Lightly mist each cheese with above mixture. Allow to dry slightly and return to cave.
Day 8 Repeat. Flip cheeses once or twice a day.
In 7 to 10 more days, when PC coat is fully bloomed, turn temperature down to 42 to 45°F. Maintain high humidity.
If holes close over at any time, re-perforate as needed. Cheese should be soft and ready at 30 to 45 days. Cheese can be wrapped and placed in regular refrigerator at this point.

Notes

pH at 9:00 PM was 5.5.
pH at 6:30 AM on day 2 was 4.93.
Cheeses averaged 563 grams. Salt for each side of each cheese is 56 grams.

Larry

4/4/15 Edited Day 4 humidity setting
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:11:10 PM by LoftyNotions »

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Cambozola #1 4/1/15 Make
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
Looks nice. I look forward to see them develop. :-)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
I just ordered three of those molds for just this purpose. ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

LoftyNotions

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
They seem to be a pretty good form factor for this. 3 gallons milk plus 1 quart cream was just right for 4 of them.

Larry

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Yeah, I had a couple other cheeses lined up for them as well with a 2 gallon make.  The Vacherin being one of them.

LoftyNotions

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »
Day 4

Perforated the cheeses and set temperature at 55°F and humidity at 85%. Humidity is different than on my original plan. I've edited the first post to reflect this change.

Since I'm not trying to grow PC and GC yet, I don't see any reason to get humidity up into the range that supports these molds. With the cheeses perforated, blue will hopefully get a little head start before I spray whites on day 7. (Always subject to change). :)

Larry

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »
WOW!! They are looking Great 8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 11:15:29 PM »
Looking forward to watching this quartet of Cambozola's!  And a cheese for you Larry for the excellent description :).

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 01:55:21 AM »
@Larry they look great ! Definitely a cheese required. Nice...

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

LoftyNotions

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
Thanks, H-K-J, John and Mal. Your comments are appreciated.

Larry

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »
Very nice!!!  Do you mix your PR with milk before adding it to the layers Larry?  I have been do this but don't know if it's right or not.  Seems that the powder may be better but I thought you had to re-hydrate PR before use.

LoftyNotions

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 01:03:22 AM »
In this case, I lightly sprinkled it on the curds in 3 internal layers, trying to keep it away from the outside edges.

No, I just sprinkled it dry. Hopefully it doesn't matter if the mold is pre-hydrated, since it gets put on very wet curd anyway. I think if it was hydrated in milk it'd be tough to keep just in the interior. It's all a big experiment, so maybe we'll have an answer if when these get cut. ;)

Jim shows a dry sprinkle on his Camblu recipe on the NEC site.

Larry

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »
I'll be very interested to see one of these cut.  I pierced mine in the side along the line of PR.  At least I think I hit it. LOL

LoftyNotions

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 02:07:53 PM »
I considered a side piercing also, but wasn't too sure about how well the curds had bonded. Ultimately, I chickened out. Didn't want chunks o' cheese at this early stage.

Larry

Kern

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
I considered a side piercing also, but wasn't too sure about how well the curds had bonded. Ultimately, I chickened out. Didn't want chunks o' cheese at this early stage.

Considering that the PR "target" sits largely parallel to the top of the cheese, piercing from the top or bottom ensures that air gets into the PR.  Coming in from the side presents the target on edge so some of the shots are going to miss.   A)