Author Topic: Cambozola #1 4/1/15 Make  (Read 6622 times)

Kern

Re: Cambozola #1 4/1/15 Make
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 02:01:17 AM »
Nice job, Lofty.  A cheese for your efforts!   ;)

I made my first Cambozola this morning and the 4 cheeses are in the molds draining.  I used Ann Hansen's recipe from Caldwell's book.  It is similar to the one you used.  The P. roqueforti was sprinkled on in one layer.  The Hansen recipe called for a 20 minute drain in a cloth lined colander prior to mold filling.  I think that this is a poor way to do this as the curds had pretty much knitted together as the whey drained.  But it looks like I mashed things enough in the molds to get a decent knit. 

In thinking about both recipes I wonder if mine will get gooey.  I suspect not.  The Cambo recipe has a high loading of fat from the added cream and this, according to Caldwell, may stabilize things retarding gooeyness.  I actually had to skim off a handful of yellow "butter" before draining the curds!  Finally, I wonder if one wants a runny Cambo.  The commercial ones I've tried are soft and spreadable but not runny.  It seems to me if it got runny then the blue color would diffuse in the yellow/white curd defeating the purpose of a Cambo.

Shane made a Cambo a couple of months ago and did not get any blue.  His recipe called for adding the PC & G to the milk and I suspect that these two overwhelm the blue.  Your make seems to confirm this.  We'll see how mine comes out. 

shaneb

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 02:06:52 AM »
Kern - This time around I didn't add PC to the mix after it was pointed out last time. I have only added PC via a spray bottle from around day 3 onwards for the camembert. It's now day 8 and no signs of PC growth yet. I had been hoping for signs of blue mould on the cambo before spraying it. I have given it a light spray this morning with PC though just in case the blue never comes. Fingers crossed.

Shane

Kern

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 02:15:19 AM »
Shane, my plan is to pierce on day 4 and spray the PC & Geo on day 5.  I think that PC & G overwhelm the PR but are probably a lot slower out of the starting blocks.  I made a classic Camembert about five weeks ago and did not see much until about day ten.  So, I'm not surprised you haven't seen anything yet.  I'll bet you get both the blue and white this time.   ;)

shaneb

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 02:20:34 AM »
Thanks Kern. I'll try and remain patient.  :)

Shane

LoftyNotions

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 03:24:05 AM »
Shane, I used a 4% salt solution with 1/8 tsp. P.c. and 1/32 tsp G.c. and sprayed as lightly as I could with a cheap plastic spray bottle. It was probably more like a light stream than a spray. They were sprayed on day 7 and day 8, and then flipped once or twice a day after that. If I remember correctly, I started seeing white about 4 to 6 days after the second spray.

Thanks for the comments and cheeses, guys.

Larry
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:42:02 PM by LoftyNotions »

shaneb

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 03:37:56 AM »
Thanks Larry. That sounds pretty close to what I've done. I don't have GC though at this stage, so it was left out.

Shane

Kern

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 08:08:25 PM »
Shane, I used a 4% salt solution with 1/8 tsp. P.c. and 1/32 tsp G.c. and sprayed as lightly as I could with a cheap plastic spray bottle. It was probably more like a light stream than a spray. They were sprayed on day 7 and day 8, and then flipped once or twice a day after that. If I remember correctly, I started seeing white about 4 to 6 days after the second spray.

Larry, did you hydrate the PC & GC for a few hours before spraying?  Caldwell states to do it 16 hours before spraying and that the mixture will last a couple of months in the fridge.  However, her mixture consists of a teaspoon of salt and sugar in a quart of water - not a 4% salt solution.

LoftyNotions

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 09:24:50 PM »
Yes, I did mix the P.c. and G.c. the night before the first spray. Since mine only had to be viable for 2 days or so, I didn't worry about feeding them. Also, I vaguely remember Linuxboy posting here that sugar wasn't a very good food for adjuncts. Whatever he was recommending wasn't something readily available to me, so I've cleared those brain cells. :)

For my morge washes that need more longevity, after washing a cheese I wring out the gauze I wash with back into the stock solution. I believe Alp posted here that he stores his wash brush in his wash. I think this feeds and strengthens the morge.

Larry
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:31:32 PM by LoftyNotions »

shaneb

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 10:10:43 PM »
I made up mine a couple of days before the first use and is stored in the cave. I'm still hanging out for the first sign of fuzz.

Shane