Author Topic: Newbie from the Hill Country of Texas  (Read 1116 times)

ginny

Newbie from the Hill Country of Texas
« on: April 04, 2015, 11:07:22 PM »
I have made Chevre 4 times now and it has been a big hit..... ready to branch out.  I picked up a Hoegger press off ebay yesterday so now I have the bug to try an make a cheese that needs a press..... I am here to learn.... Thanks.... Oh, any one got a cheese recipe that is a hard cheese that I can age in the refrigerator..... I need a lot more experience before I want to think of a cave... and even then, I live in a condo.  I have no clue where I would put a cave.  Thanks

Stinky

Re: Newbie from the Hill Country of Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 11:53:54 PM »
Um... if you like stinky cheese you can make some of those at room temperature and then the fridge. Otherwise, the integrity of the cheese will be somewhat compromised- it works, but not nearly as well as the right temperature would.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:56:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum and the fine hobby of artisanal cheese making.  There are many cheeses you can make and age in the fridge but most are soft, fresh, cheeses that do not require pressing.  You may want to do a few searches here and look at some of the simple ways folks have set up very successful cheese caves using just a picnic drinks cooler.  Once again, welcome! :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:39:47 PM »
Hi ginny and welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you have a good head start with cheese making.  Refrigerators are great for keeping perishable foods fresh but lousy for aging cheese.  Temp. is too low and %RH way to low :(.  You could try putting your cheese in a minicave (i.e. plastic box to keep %RH high)  and pulling the box / cheese out of your fridge daily for a few hours to let the cultures do their thing.    If that too much trouble and your condo is small you could convert a used dorm fridge or wine cooler.

HomeCheese Adam

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:26:08 AM »
Hi Ginny,

Welcome to the forum - it's a brilliant resource with some of the world's best (and most helpful) cheese makers.

If you need help getting around, try this guide produced with help from very experienced forum members.

Have a great time with your new press!

Adam.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:11:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Please don't hessitate to ask if you have any questions. We all love to help!
:-) Danbo