Author Topic: The Undiscovered Country  (Read 15657 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: The Undiscovered Country
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 11:41:15 PM »
Rind update:

I read iratherfly's directions and settled on the 5% brine wash and I've dosed the wash as well - just to be sure :).  The rind this morning was slick but not sticky and different from 'Whey draining' feel as well. So, I'm starting the wash routine today.  Wine ? how about the yeasty bottom of a nice Pale Ale?  For those who know Coopers Ales here in Oz, they bottle fermented with a small amount of yeast giving it the distingtive cloudy look. 
http://www.australianbeers.com/beers/coopers_pale_ale/coopers_original_pale_ale.htm

I was going to introduce this adding it to the wash mix at week 2.

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 04:59:41 AM »
Rind update:

The rind this morning was slick but not sticky and different from 'Whey draining' feel as well.

Yes exactly it is a very odd type of slimey ,  they are almost hard to hold. In about 4 to 5 days of washing you should start to see linens here and there.

I got the bright yellow linens for the first time this round of reblochons , I wonder how it will taste  compared to the Orange kind ?    1 more week to go before they are ready to start eating .

LoftyNotions

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 01:47:10 PM »
You're trying to set up very specific conditions on the surface of a Reblochon to provide a good environment for B. linens. First, you are increasing pH (decreasing acidity). This is the reason for the initial phase waiting for Geo to take hold. Second, you are trying to provide an environment that discourages other beasties from competing with B.l.

It seems to me that using a yeasty beer wash will work against both conditions you're trying to set up. I don't remember what pH beer typically measures, but it is acidic. Maybe a good pH, maybe not. Also, you'd be adding other critters that may or may not compete with B.l.

I think adding the beer to the wash would be a fun experiment though. What do you think about doing this batch per the recipe, and trying the beer on your next make? That way you'll have a good benchmark for what the cheese is supposed to be without throwing in unknowns. Or just go for it.  >:D

Larry

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »
The one thing I did notice about your cheese  and it will effect the aging a little is that it is a lot bigger than traditional.  The good thing though is that from the picture you still have the same ratio of width to hight  it should be 2 to 1 or so , this means that the linens will soften to the center of the cheese at the same time from every direction.  It does mean how ever that it may take a little longer  for it to happen on yours.  Standard is 2.5 by 5 inches and this takes 4 to 5 weeks , my guess is to add 1 more week before moving from the cave to the kitchen fridge .   

One  thing I do  to test is I cut the smallest wedge shape I can from  the center to  the edges  (usually about 1/16 at the edge and a point in the center)  let the wedge come to room temp then tatse it if it is not yet soft i squeeze the cheese back into a circle and  it usually sticks back together well enough to continue ageing . It is usually very obvious from visuals if it is ready as you can easily see how far linens has creapt inwards via a softening line pasty cheese on one side and creamy yummy cheese on the other side.

Your in for a treat as I think reblochon is the best of all cheeses, I love mine on hotdogs.

Stinky

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
How much of a stinky taste does it have for you?

qdog1955

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »
Is there a reason you just don't use the replicator?
Qdog

LoftyNotions

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »
Is there a reason you just don't use the replicator?
Qdog

Yes. Torres reports that the cheese is full of volatile bacterial spores, and that it must remain isolated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=circ3_-JJy0

Larry

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »
HELLLPPP !!   I think this cheese is going down like a bad Klingon rendition of McBeth... (actually that might be quite interesting come to think of it) but, to day the much feared red/orange B.Linens has not yet made an appearance. and this is greater that 10 days.  Been washing every second day and I have a nice Coat of G.C and a bit of a funky smell but no Red.  It is too later to try something or am I being a bit too impatient ?

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 11:45:19 PM »
Hold out , my first reblochon took much longer than expected to get orange ,  if you have the smell it will come.

I think the pla blend has a week linens  .

Are the corners rounding yet ?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 01:48:10 AM »
I'll take some images and post them here.  They are not really rounding but there is definitely a pong about it..

-- Mal

LoftyNotions

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 03:34:12 AM »
Mal,

The last batch I made never did get very orange. They were stinky, gooey and delicious though. If I remember correctly, most of the color came on after I wrapped them and put them in the regular frig.

Larry

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 01:01:25 AM »
Oh very nice Larry - A cheese - nice photos as well.

Here are a few shots of what is looks like so far.. The aroma is - there. but as soon as the container is opened the cheese doesn't small at all.  I'm encouraged :).  Is it my imagination or is there something happening.  Maybe I'm wishing too much ?

-- Mal

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 03:54:22 AM »
Good looking cheese Mal!!!  I've never made one either so I'll watch with interest!! :o  A cheese for a great knit!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 06:23:38 AM »
Thanks Al...

I have always thought your Taleggio was a great looking cheese, I hope this comes close.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
Well it better start stinking then! LOL  The color is dictated by the strain of b linens you use.  The one I used for the Epoisses and the first Tallegio were to produce a deep orange color. I believe they were the SR3 strain. The second Tallegio was the PLA strain. I preferred the SR3.  The different strains are listed here along with their characteristics.  Upon looking at the AOC for this cheese I realized I just bought three molds that are perfect for this cheese.  I never realized it needed to be so small.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:32:31 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos