Author Topic: The Undiscovered Country  (Read 15628 times)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: The Undiscovered Country
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 03:04:38 AM »
I think your cheese is no where's near lost.  My cheeses are far smaller than yours , about 500 grams at salting , and about 5 inches across 2.5 thick. I seem to recall yours was much bigger so I would expect a longer affinage .

All the changes you just made should be showing results by the end of next week for sure .

Also my first go around of this cheese the Orange did not come in until long after they were wrapped , but they still softened and they still tasted great. So don't let color be your guide , I think gooieyness  at the edges is a more import sign .

This cheese is worth ever tear and lost hair folical.

tarwin

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 01:44:09 PM »
2 few issues here for me. 15c seems way to high I would have thought 12c about tops. if your fridge is 15c is it actually switched on or worse still have you put the cheese in the oven?

tarwin

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »
Had the first tasting of the 6 rounds made on the 13th March. 5 neighbors involved and it was very popular event. Everyone stayed upright and arrived home alive (this was made from the evil raw milk don't forget http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-01/raw-milk-law-start-in-victoria/5996014 ) My subjective review is positive maybe a bit straight down the line showing no faults terrific aromatics  but also not quite the funk I was aiming for but early days still.

Stinky

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 03:33:08 PM »
May we see Mal?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 11:51:24 PM »
What a laugh ( evil raw milk) how about evil ignorance .  I  recomend " the raw milk revolution " book to all that are interested in the truth. Turns out your 10 times more likely to get listeria from cured meats than raw milk.

I won't rant about it here , but it sure does make me laugh

Tarwin , pics please

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2015, 12:31:08 AM »
Here are some photos.

The guage read 2 degrees low so the shelf this is one is at 10 DegC.
The container is kept closed and is moist as you can see from the drops forming on the lid.
The cheese has a nice pungent smell - not too over powering but its not shy either. (Top and Bottom)
The cheese has softened to where my finger is pointing
and it has a small bulge where I'm pointing....
There is no red at all.. anywhere...  I had my supplier check their batches and the one I used was a fresh one @ about six weeks old and I've lowered the salt content in my wash to about 3%

Any suggestions ??  I don't want to raise the temp too much
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Stinky

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2015, 01:36:40 AM »
Looks great! The orange color looks like linens to me. And then a dusting of geo.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2015, 02:18:03 AM »
@Stinky maybe im expecting too much  for the colour. And the camera is lying as i didnt white balance the image. Its not that deep an orange as it appears. Maybe im making a pungent bree ????.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2015, 02:26:11 AM »
It's looking good to me. Not sure how relevant it is to this cheese, but my first Jarlsberg got these lumps (it did have propionic bacteria in it though) and it didn't turn out so well. Hopefully yours does though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Shane

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2015, 05:45:57 AM »
I just thought I should ask what was the ph at salting? If it was a little low maybe that could slow down the linens a little.

Does the cheese feel like it is gooiey under the surface? If so then that means the rest will get there too. .

If you go any higher in temp the geo  will take over too much.

Mine do not have a really over powering stink.

tarwin

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2015, 07:31:02 AM »
gregore you asked for a pic.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »
Oh that looks good.. <sigh>  may be I should start again with a smaller cheese..

-- Mal

LoftyNotions

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2015, 03:33:46 AM »
Nah, you're the big cheese, Mal! ;)

Larry

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
Did you put b linens in your wash?  When I did my Epoisses I washed them with cognac with b linens and they still grew like wildfire.  I thought the alcohol would kill the linens but no chance.  Had them growing from both sides.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2015, 03:04:48 AM »
Al. Oh Well...  I fear the red isn't going to show on mine - so I also think I need to try another batch of B.Linens culture.  Yours look exactly as I would have though mine would have been like by now - Alas twas not to be.... add this one to the failures post I feel...

-- Mal