Author Topic: The Undiscovered Country  (Read 15667 times)

LoftyNotions

Re: The Undiscovered Country
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
Mal, Sorry if I missed it, but what strain of B. linens did you use for these?

Larry

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 02:32:33 AM »
Dont actually have that info.  I get my cultures from  http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/cheesemaking_ingredients_cultures.html and this is the first time they have not worked.

would buying another batch and adding a good dose to my 3% brine wash do anything ??

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

StuartDunstan

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 02:39:08 AM »
Funny, my first attempt at washed rind that failed and never got the orange colour, I bought the b.linens from Green Living Australia. After that failed attempt, I chucked it out and bought a new batch from Graham Redhead at www.cheesemaking.com.au. That one worked, and was definitely a different strain, as it looked a lot different in the jar.

shaneb

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2015, 02:42:36 AM »
Mal - I have a packet of this that I'm happy to chuck in the mail to you if you want?

http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/products/Brevibacterium-Linens-%252d-50L.html

It's sitting in my freezer at the moment. I'm not really planning on making anything with it at this stage. I just grabbed it as I bought a heap of other things.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 02:56:02 AM »
I'd be very appreciative of that - I'll Pm you my address..

Thanks
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2015, 03:06:40 AM »
No problems.

Shane

LoftyNotions

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2015, 03:35:30 AM »
I wonder if the strain you have is something like Danisco FR10/LB, which is ivory in color, not orange. It still gets stinky, just doesn't turn orange.

Spray some Annatto on them and pretend. :)

Larry

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2015, 05:02:30 AM »
You did mention a while back that it did start to smell ?  If so I think it will still come around well , maybe it will not be exactly like a reblochon , but I bet it will be delicious.

I have a pla tomme in the cave and it is very tasty, not runny like a reblochon but the linens is working its way towards the center with  stink flavor and a more pliable texture

2 things seem to me to make reblochon  a reblochon and that is when making it you slow down the acid curve by putting it in a 60 degree cave before salting  and also it is a very wet curd with very little weight for pressing .
My curd is closer to what I see others do with a Brie or Camembert , very wet and I scoop it into the molds.

Not sure  with my limited knowledge how truly important either of those are but they seem to me to be the key to the tasty goo.

I just  had a thought that maybe your cheese acidified more than normal and so the linens is having a harder than normal time doing its magic .

tarwin

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2015, 07:15:24 AM »
A nice gooey smelly Reblochon style. Still struggling with the color however. See my original post on page 3. I have lifted The storage temp to 7 celcius in the last week which has helped a lot. Making 3 more rounds on Friday with a slight tweaking of the cultures. I will wash it with http://www.thecheesemaker.com/content/specs_LR_10.pdf this time which should supply the right color.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
A cheese for Tarwin !!

Love the looks of this one..

-- Mal

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Mal you've inspired me.  I think this will be my next cheese.  Never done one but looking forward to it. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

LoftyNotions

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2015, 10:22:32 PM »
A nice gooey smelly Reblochon style. Still struggling with the color however. See my original post on page 3. I have lifted The storage temp to 7 celcius in the last week which has helped a lot. Making 3 more rounds on Friday with a slight tweaking of the cultures. I will wash it with http://www.thecheesemaker.com/content/specs_LR_10.pdf this time which should supply the right color.

LR will probably provide a fairly light orange color, but it'll stink. :) The bright oranges are FR 13; FR 23 (SR3); and FR22.

Larry

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2015, 02:35:21 AM »
I just hope you all have better outcomes as this one has been a little frustrating..  Shane came to my rescue but I fear it might be time to start over.

-- Mal

tarwin

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:05 AM »

LR will probably provide a fairly light orange color, but it'll stink. :) The bright oranges are FR 13; FR 23 (SR3); and FR22.

Larry

Well thats a double bonus

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2015, 05:27:57 AM »
Well, it's been just over 5 weeks and I wondering if this experiment is over and I should start another.  The chees is soft to the centre but the red is still noticable by its absence.  Shane, bless his heart, sent me some of his B.Linens and there are the barest few patches about the size of a 50Cent (AU) piece on one side but nothing else.  The smell hasn't changed, it is still stong, but I'm wondering if it is time to eat - or try it at least - or do I persevere ?  It's still a cheese I wish to perfect but I suppose until I've done it once it will always bug me... I'll post images tonight..

-- Mal