Author Topic: Clay rinds  (Read 4491 times)

Stinky

Clay rinds
« on: April 06, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
In Caldwell's book, she mentions that Romano was traditionally made with a mixture of dark clay and oil rubbed onto the rind. Has anyone tried this? Is anyone adventurous enough to try this? It sounds interesting.

Kern

Re: Clay rinds
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »
You can purchase clay from pottery supply stores in any color from white through gray, red and almost black.  I'd go with the red clay since the colorant here is red iron oxide AKA rust.  Be sure to get dry clay, not red clay in moist bricks.  This clay is finer than 300 mesh so about the only preparation you'll have to do is sterilize it.  To do this put in in a swallow layer in a baking pan and bake it in an over set at around 250F.  This will also drive off the free moisture.  Stir it several times during the hour or so it's in the oven.  Let it cool and then put it in a clean jar and it is ready to use.  Make a thick paste by using a high clay/oil mixture as this will mix to wet out the clay.  Then add oil to the consistency you want.  Eating a little bit of the clay with the cheese is perfectly safe.   A)

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 03:31:22 PM »
Rusty cheese!  :D

Is there any particular reason you suggest iron oxide clay, or just the color?

Kern

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
In a previous life I did a lot of pottery so I know clays fairly well.  Some of the black and dark brown clays contain manganese oxide, which is a big no-no from an ingestion standpoint.  Iron oxide containing clays go from red-brown to brick red in color.  I haven't seen any of the usual cheese item suppliers offer clay so you'll have to get it from some pottery guys if you want to try it.  These guys are very big on supplying Safety Data Sheets (formerly MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheets) so ask to see one for the clay you want to use.  You don't want to use any clay that contains manganese or any other heavy metals.  Iron is fine - either red or black iron oxide or a mixture if you want a more maroon color.   ^-^

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 12:35:41 AM »
I take it just powdering a brick wouldn't be too hot of an idea?

Kern

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »

I'll take your question as a serious joke!   ;)  The potential problem with a powdered brick is that you don't know what all is in it.  From a functionality standpoint you could beat the crap out of the brick with a sludge hammer and run it through a very fine mesh sieve and come up with an appropriate powder.  My concern with heavy metals is that you are coating an acidic material which dissolve metals.  Then osmosis might cause migration of the metal ions into the cheese.  Is this a strong possibility?  Probably not but since there are other, safer materials why take the risk? 

One clay you might look at is called Red Art Clay.  It is sold in small bags by most pottery shops.  Here is a link to a Red Art Clay MSDS:  http://www.standardceramic.com/MSDSmaterials/Redart%20Clay.pdf    It contains crystalline silica as a hazardous material.  This is chemically sand but in a form where repeatedly breathing it could cause silicosis a sometimes fatal lung disease.  Once mixed with oil the hazard is eliminated and eating a little silica is harmless.   A)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »
I think this scenario reminds me of the people a few years ago building their own bar-b-ques and using refrigerator racks on them.  Heat transferred the nickel-cadium in the plating into the meat and poisoned all of the guests. Don't put anything in contact with food stuffs unless you know exactly what it is and how it can affect the item.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »

I'll take your question as a serious joke!   ;)  The potential problem with a powdered brick is that you don't know what all is in it.  From a functionality standpoint you could beat the crap out of the brick with a sludge hammer and run it through a very fine mesh sieve and come up with an appropriate powder.  My concern with heavy metals is that you are coating an acidic material which dissolve metals.  Then osmosis might cause migration of the metal ions into the cheese.  Is this a strong possibility?  Probably not but since there are other, safer materials why take the risk? 

One clay you might look at is called Red Art Clay.  It is sold in small bags by most pottery shops.  Here is a link to a Red Art Clay MSDS:  http://www.standardceramic.com/MSDSmaterials/Redart%20Clay.pdf    It contains crystalline silica as a hazardous material.  This is chemically sand but in a form where repeatedly breathing it could cause silicosis a sometimes fatal lung disease.  Once mixed with oil the hazard is eliminated and eating a little silica is harmless.   A)

Yes, I wasn't being serious.  :D

So it's only a carcinogen if you breath it in?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
It's a carcinogen if it causes cancer.  Period!

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
Yes. But it only causes cancer if you inhale it?

Because it says silica is a carcinogen on the page Kern linked.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
ANYTHING that causes cancer is a carcinogen.  It doesn't matter how it gets on, or in, your body.

Stinky

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:01:50 PM »
I am trying to clarfiy with Kern. He said it wasn't a big deal.

Kern

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 11:55:44 PM »
I am trying to clarfiy with Kern. He said it wasn't a big deal.
Using Red Art Clay mixed with vegetable oil is perfectly safe.  Avoid creating or breathing dust.  This is not much of a problem when mixing with oil as it is a fairly heavy material and is not fluffy.   Crystalline silica is potentially carcinogenic because of its density, particle size, and chemical stability.  Chemically it is exactly the same material as white beach sand.  You could rub beach sand or red art clay on your body and you won't get cancer from either.