Author Topic: New compact, compound-lever, selectable MA press  (Read 38767 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: New compact, compound-lever, selectable MA press
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
Now I'm really blushing! :)

The main lever has a range of motion of up to about 16 inches max. In the 8x position, the full range of main lever measures about 2" of change on the ram -- right on the money for the calculations. In the 24x position, the full range is a bit less (due to how some of the parts interact), but still more than 12"; moving the main lever through its full range resulted in a bit more than 1/2" of motion on the ram. I assume the 2x and 13x settings would likewise give the expected amounts.

Given the small total movement especially in the 24x setting, you can see why I decided to go to the trouble of making the ram as a screw mechanism. For comparison, my original press used a ram with holes spaced 1", allowing me to use a pin to move  it up or down as needed to get the right placement -- but that press only has 3x MA. Obviously, 1" adjustments are not going to cut it when the ram is only moving a total of 1/2"!
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 10:46:07 PM »
Amazing and a wonderful piece of engineering. The detail and workmanship is without a doubt some of the best I've seen. Having made 2 presses i can appeeciate the thought and planning that goes into a project of this scope.
Impressive and of course a cheese.
-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2015, 01:06:07 AM »
Thanks, Mal!
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
I put the press into service yesterday, pressing a cheddar. Wow -- it performed wonderfully. It is so amazing to have what feels like an unlimited amount of force available; I topped out at 300 lbs (6 psi), which gave me a great knit with some over-dry curds, and still had 300 more lbs that I could have added -- woohoo!

First picture: 40 lbs. (5 lb weight, 8x MA)
Second and third pictures: 140 lbs. (17.5 lb weight, 8x MA)
Fourth and fifth pictures: 300 lbs (12.5 lb weight, 24x MA)
-- Andy

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2015, 11:34:10 PM »
With a great design and today's glues no rhombus appears. Fantastic!

shaneb

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »
Andy - That is an awesome looking press. The quality is amazing. I would love to have a fraction of the skills you've been able to put into it. Have a cheese from me.

Shane

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 01:18:55 AM »
Many thanks!

It has lived up to my hopes. I did have to get used to the fact that, with the far greater MA, there is no way to avoid spinning the screw up and down to put the cheese mold in and out. (Doesn't help that this "mold" is a repurposed bucket that is really a bit too tall.) And as I was afraid would be the case, I find that I have to move the "ship's wheel" adjuster up and down on the screw each time to get the amount of motion I need -- again a problem exacerbated by the overly tall mold. (I think a new mold is in my future ...)

But in spite of these challenges,the "ship's wheel" adjuster allows me to spin the screw quite rapidly, so the process did not feel burdensome. And the pressure available -- wow. I think I might have to try a Cantal, just to give it a real workout. :)

I also need to make up a 1 lb. or 1.25 lb. weight to give me a bit more fine-tuning when I'm at 8x MA and above -- the smallest weight I currently have is 2.5 lbs, which translates to 20 lbs on the 8x setting (and 60 lbs on the 24x setting!).
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 01:43:29 AM »
When you do a large Cheddar it will be interesting to see if the last high weight press will require a reset or if the small amount of compression remaining will make it at MA=24.

Smolt, I wanted to come back to this -- as it turned out, when I set it for 300 pounds for the final press of the cheddar I just made, the main lever dropped about 6" overnight -- which meant it still had another 6" available to go. Of course, that means the ram only moved 1/4" -- but if you look at the picture in the thread I started about the cheddar, you'll see that some of this 1/4" was in the form of bowing the follower and thus the cheese under it.

So, short answer -- it looks like it can go without a reset by the time I get up to the 24x range. (And actually, I can go up to 400 lbs on the 8x range by putting 50 lbs on the lever -- it is designed to accept that much -- so honestly I may never need to put it in the 24x range. Though I did that anyway, this time, just to try it out and see if it would run out of room.)
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 04:19:07 AM »
I'm a hobby woodworker as well but, I had to look up what a "Drawerbore" joint was, makes sense now :).  Wish I knew that a few years ago... something learnt so today wasn't a total waste of time. I think that also the 'pegs' used when the technique was devised would have been had turned or whittled.  Alas today the dowels we use today swell in the the presence of water (in the glue) a fill keep the joint tight. One thing though the modern dowels don't do and that is draw the tenon into the joint. 

Thanks for the lesson  :)

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »
Mal, I first learned of the draw bore technique from a TV show on PBS (our Public TV) called the Woodwright's Shop, featuring ways of working with wood from yesteryear, and have been using it on various projects for several years now. One thing -- I find that it is a bit tricky to get the offset just right. Especially in this hard maple, it only needed 1/32" or even less of offset. (A softer wood and/or a larger joint might need as much as 1/16"; if you are building a timber frame, maybe even 1/8".) Normally I use this on a mortise and tenon joint; for the press, however, the sides are not joined until they are joined to the uprights of the frame ... so in addition to using the draw bore to achieve a good tight fit against the shoulders, I also had to use clamps to make sure the sides were snugged up.

For the dowels ... I actually made those out of some of the maple from which the project was built. I used a simple but effective technique also learned from the Woodrwright's Shop -- I drilled a piece of 1/4" thick steel with a series of holes, each 1/32" larger than the next. Cut the maple to a square just a tiny bit larger than the desired final diameter, and pound it through the holes from larger to smaller until in reaches the desired size. The finish is a bit rough, but entirely serviceable. It is also important to put a slight bevel on one side of one end to help it engage the draw bore; I made the dowel long enough that this beveled part is fully extended beyond the joint, so that when I cut it off and sand it, the dowel fully fills the hole. (I hope that made sense ...)

Incidentally, if you are interested in the Woodwright's Shop, the host, Roy Underhill, has produced several books. I don't recall the publisher, and don't know if they are still in print ... but these days, you can find anything, including used books, via the internet. :) I've used a variety of useful techniques from these books / this show, even though I do most of my wood working with power tools.
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
For those of you who would be interested in something like this, but all made of wood -- here are plans and some solid-model mock-ups of a version that is limited to 8x MA -- which can still easily to get 400 lbs, or even 600, with 50 or 75 lbs of weight on the arm.
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »
What wood would you recommend?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
Something strong. :) I used hard maple in mine.
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
Based on the well known engineering principal of Close enough.... I would even contemplate an all wood version even going out to the 24 times design.. The individual parts can remade easily enough if I break one..

Thanks for this wonderful design -A cheese a day isn't enough..

-- Mal 

shaneb

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »
Nice work Andy. Thanks for sharing. Have a cheese from me.

Shane