Author Topic: New compact, compound-lever, selectable MA press  (Read 37760 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: New compact, compound-lever, selectable MA press
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2015, 12:42:27 AM »
I have it converted to metric already - now I just need to find the wood.. Bunnings is rubbish and everywhere else is soooo expensive. Might try a recycling place

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
I look forward to seeing your rendition! Since I made mine from recycled school desks, I think recycled wood is a great idea. :)

As for going to 24x -- I wouldn't be as concerned about the wood breaking as I am about the limited range of motion. At 24x, my screw-based press moves the ram a total of 1/2" or less across the full range of motion of the main lever. If you go this route, make yourself a series of 1/4" and/or 1/2" spacers to help adjust as the cheese compresses.
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 03:01:05 AM »
Started collecting the wood and have found a good recyclers as well - though I think mine will turn out a bit chunky - but functional.  I'll post progress shot :)

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
I look forward to seeing it!
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2015, 05:25:29 AM »
On the weekend I got busy firming up the the now Ex-collapseable cheese press. I gave it an extra backbone on the base plate and screwed and glued extra blocks around the Base pivot point - not going anywhere now.  But, would you believe it, there is still sufficient and noticable bending torqe applied at the bottom that I'm probably still going to produce 'Wedgies'.  This has nothing to do with the design, it's more on my interpretation of the images I 'deduced' the dimensions from.   Totally my fault. !!  Should leave engineering to the Engineers :)

-- Mal

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 10:26:11 PM »
Hi Andy
Well here is the 'Blocky' version of your wonderful design.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=14874

Had  a lot of fun. I measure the handle and the fulcrum point and only came up with a MA of 3.5 so I increased the length of the main lever.  Unless I've got more than I thought.

From the main upright to the secondary pivot is 10 cm
from the Secondary pivot to the first weigh hanging loop is 40 and to the Second loop 50 Cms.  So am I correct that the MA is 4 to the first and 5 to the Second ?

-- Mal

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 12:35:23 AM »
Mal, I am delighted to see this!

If I understand your measurements, it is a total distance of 50 cm from the fulcrum to the first weight loop (10 to the pivot + 40 more to the weight = 50), and 60 cm to the second -- is that right? If so, you actually have 5x MA at the first point and 6x at the second. The calculation is (distance from fulcrum to weight) / (distance from fulcrum to pivot). But keep in mind that the secondary lever multiplies the MA of the primary lever by 2, so your total MA would be 10x or 12x.

Can't weight (:)) to hear the report on its maiden voyage!
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2015, 12:10:23 AM »
Dry run today - Ohhh I'm excited

valley ranch

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »
Greetings Andy, Yes, I know this is an old thread, that's part of my reason for posting. Wondering why you haven't followed up. I was hoping to see a working model of you newest design.

What you've shown impressed me, that's isn't easy done. I'll go back and look over your model A, I do need a bigger press and I'm a maker of tools.

Thanks for posting

Richard

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2016, 06:32:40 PM »
Richard,

Mal (OzzieCheese) has a post somewhere showing his version of the wood-only design. I think it worked well for him - Mal?
-- Andy

cbenner33

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »
I have been talking to Andy about his design for a month or so and decided to make my own all wooden version of his press. I have about 6 man hours involed in the build, using my table saw, drill presse, 9" band saw and an orbital sander. I have secured the pivots with standard bolts, washers, and nuts (I am going to use clevis pins soon for quicker changes). So far I have been able to get an MA range of 7x to 14x. Since the pictures were taken I have corrected the short horizontal brace and rounded some edges for a softer look. I also used dowels to hold the main vertical support braces rather than screws. Holding the base to the vertical supports is probably the most critical aspect of this design (or any press for that matter) as the base wants to separate from the rest of the press under all the force (I found this out the hard way! screws will not hold it alone).

I have successfully measured 434 lbs (31 lbs x 14 MA) on a test for over 12 hours. I have since glued it together permanently and used the dowels as mentioned above and will be testing tonight with 49lbs. I also added an eye hook to the end to hang my weights. Thanks to Andy and his design. I truly believe this is the best homemade cheese press design.

Edit: I have about $26 in material invested into the entire press, it's just pine.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:13:16 PM by cbenner33 »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
At the risk of being just a bit self-serving ... a cheese for you for your build of this press!
-- Andy

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 01:22:46 AM »
Nice press and great build! Press many great cheeses!!

Duntov

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »
Maybe a quick release pin for the non-screw type ram could be used?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2016, 03:40:33 PM »
Yes, it would be a handy way to adjust. The only thing I would caution is to be sure of the crush strength of the pin - this sort of pin is actually hollow, to accommodate the release mechanism. As long as the walls aren't too thin, the pin should be able to tolerate more than enough pressure ... I think ... but worth checking to be sure.
-- Andy