Author Topic: natural cheesemaking  (Read 1815 times)

guerrillacheese

natural cheesemaking
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
Hello Folks

My name is David Asher. I'm an organic farmer, farmstead cheese maker (non-commercial) and cheese educator based on the west coast of British Columbia.

I practice a different sort of cheesemaking, working with milk's indigenous cultures, keeping my own starters, and growing my own ripening fungi- it's a more intuitive and elegant cheesemaking, and I think many folks will like it.  I've written a book on the subject, titled The Art of Natural Cheesemaking, that's due to be released in July.  It will help cheesemakers who are looking for alternatives to the standard industrial approach to cheesemaking that prevails in the western world. Admin edit, removed link as against website forum policy of no commercial promotion, please thread in Library>Books.

I'm signing up to the board so that I can reach out to cheesemakers who want to try my methods (some of you may have already tried my method of cultivationg P. Roqueforti, which has found its way to the board).  I'll be posting some recipes here for folks to try their hand at, to show you how possible this style of cheesemaking is.  In the meantime, you can find out more on my website:
www.theblacksheepschool.com

Bon fromage!

David
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 01:59:07 PM by Webmaster »

qdog1955

Re: natural cheesemaking
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:22:57 PM »
David-----Welcome-------sounds real interesting----can't wait to see this in action---July seems like a lifetime away :)
Qdog

StuartDunstan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:42:32 AM »
Hi David, and welcome! I stumbled across your website earlier this year and was quite fascinated by your approach to cheesemaking, so have already pre-ordered your book. Very much looking forward to reading it and hearing more from you on the forum.

Cheers,
Stu.

HomeCheese Adam

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:07:54 AM »
Hi David,

Great website!

I'm very intrigued by your book and have followed Stu's lead and pre-ordered... can't wait to find out more!

Adam.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:18:41 PM »
Hello David.  Your website is quite fascinating as is your upcoming book.  Looking forward to learning more about your methods and recipes.

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
July is a very long time away... ;)

I hope to be able to make cheese that is specific to my farm with this book. Hopefully it will taste wonderful!

guerrillacheese

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:57:48 PM »
July is a very long time away... ;)

I hope to be able to make cheese that is specific to my farm with this book. Hopefully it will taste wonderful!

Hello Jennifer
This book will help you make the best possible cheese with your milk, working with your milk's indigenous cultures, rather than with the ubiquitous lab-raised DVI cultures.  There are many unique recipes not found elsewhere, and all of them use kefir or the cultures of raw milk to make cheese.
And, to top it all off, cheeses made with my methods are surprisingly flavourful...

David

lovinglife

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
COOL!  It is your book that has totally inspired me!  I certainly hope I find your recipes and helpful hints!  Very cool, I am totally addicted to your book..  How totally exciting to find this forum and YOU on it!  Can you tell I am happy??   ;D