Author Topic: Who is using liquid rennet paste?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Who is using liquid rennet paste?
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
I would like to hear from others using rennet paste. What is your experience - does it change affinage? Can you taste a difference? What amount (milliliters) of rennet paste are you typically using for 4 liters or 1 gallon? Or what amounts are you using for larger makes?
I want to make two cheeses and compare the standard calf rennet to the calf rennet paste.... Maybe I should make a third and compare the veggie rennet.....
Susan

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Who is using liquid rennet paste?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:27:06 AM »
I am... :)

I think that the taste is a bit more complex than if I use normal rennet. I started using rennet paste a couple of months ago hence I don't know how it affects cheeses that are aged long.

Primarily I like the thought that the rennet paste is a bit more back to basics than normal rennet.

I'm using rennet paste from Bioren.

:) Danbo

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
Danbo----I know you are always a really helpful soul-----but please explain back to basics-----I know nothing about paste, even Susan's opening throws me off-----is this stuff a liquid or a paste? Is it some how more natural, stronger, longer lasting? Is it more expensive? Do you ride around on a camel with milk in the stomach of an unweaned calf ?  ( just seeing if you're paying attention )  :)
  Susan----if you do experiment----let us know the results----would be very interesting
Qdog.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »
Hi Qdog,

Riding a camel... ;) LOL...

Here is a lnk describing the rennet paste from Bioren: http://www.hundsbichler.com/paste

The product is a light brown liquid solution that are a little bit thicker than normal rennet. The amounts to be used are like with normal rennet as this paste is normalized to 1:15000 strength. Traditional paste is more difficult to use as the strength can vary.

My paste is only good for 6 months and I can only get it in 1 liter bottles. I wish that I could just send some smaller bottles to you and everyone else who want to try the paste for free - I have both Dolce and Picante. But I assume that sending foodsubstances outside Europe would be difficult.

:) Danbo

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:06:35 AM »
Thanks Danbo-----once again helpful----with all that cheese you have made lately, you probably used a liter ;)  International shipping is a nightmare sometimes------I sold a pair of antique brass head lights to a guy in Australia a couple years back----he paid $600.00 for the lights and $ 800.00 for shipping and duties---incredible!!!
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »
I know... If I buy something from the US at around USD 12 the VAT would be USD 3 but the cost of declaring the package would be USD 23... Total cost: USD 38 !!!!!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »
I am quite sure that Artisan Geek is selling the same product. It comes from Austria. The liquid rennet paste from calf is not yet on his website - you can send a message through the site if you want it. But he does have the liquid paste rennet from goat and sheep.
Susan

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 04:24:09 AM »
I wish that we had an Artisan Geek here in Europe...

Stinky

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »
If it comes from Austria, wouldn't it be possible to get it from Austria?

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
I buy it in Germany and the price is reasonable... I buy it when I buy cultures which makes shipping cheaper.