Author Topic: Beginner cheesemaker - mold under clothbound cheddar help!  (Read 2854 times)

Kristi

Beginner cheesemaker - mold under clothbound cheddar help!
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:23:48 AM »
I see there have been several threads on mold under bandaging, so apologies if I should have added to a previous thread instead - I'm new around here ;)

I have recently entered the world of cheese making and have my first cheddars aging in my cave. I clothbound my cheddar about a week and a half ago and it is looking quite moldy already. I gave it a good scrub and wash with brine last night but it looks like the mold is growing under the cloth as well as in the cloth.  From previous threads, it sounds like the best thing to do is unwrap it, wash it with brine and re-wrap it but I just wanted to upload these pics to get some input. I have just realised that I have a lot to learn about mold!

To wrap my cheese I smeared it all over with Crisco then did two layers of cheesecloth (dipped in the fat) and then put the cheese back into my cheese mould and pressed it with about 50lbs for around 24 hours and then moved it to my cave.

My questions are - should I re-bandage my cheese using three layers and how can I stop the mold from growing under there again?  My understanding is that some mold is good and will add to the flavour of the cheese, but seeing it all there is scary! Are there any particular types of mold I should worry about? The mold on this cheese is blue-greenish in the cloth and brown/orange spots which look like they are growing under the cloth.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Beginner cheesemaker - mold under clothbound cheddar help!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
Sounds like Penicillium Rogueforti and b linens.  I would message Mal, OzzieCheese, on here, for directions on the correct manner to bandage a cheese as he does this all of the time.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:55:53 PM »
I'd say wash, scrub, and rebandage with more lard. Smear it on between layers.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »
If I understand correctly, it sounds like you scrubbed the outside of the bandages with brine? I don't think I'd do that -- either remove the bandages and scrub, or leave the bandages alone. But please note, I am speaking from the luxury of total ignorance, since I've never attempted a bandaged cheese! :)
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 12:38:59 AM »
@Kristi - they do look scary... But I wouldn't panic. Mine always get a bit scary as well but, the moulds should stick to the cloth when you peel it off. BUt, don't do it just yet.  As you've pressed the cloth into the cheese it will a little difficult to easily remove.   If you were feeling that there is a 'Smell' about it I would bring the cheese to room temperature and I'll use ambient temp of 23-24 DegC  (73 - 75 F) this will help soften the lard and gently peel the cloth off and see how it looks.  'Captian Obvious' here but try not to rip the outside of the cheese.  Once you have freed the cheese I would wipe it down with vinegar, lightly scrub if necessary with salt.  This is not to add salt to the cheese but to almost exfoliate the rind.  Wipe again with vinegar and Let it air dry - really dry, and if you are wanting to age the cheese a bit longer re-bandage it - I'm a three layer type of guy :).  You might still get mold between the layer - I always do and I'm a clean freak...  so you can imagine when my Cheese tutor looked at the one in the link below and said 'Nah! just leave it it'll come off at the end' - she was right.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10377.0.html
here is how I do it.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13778.0.html

and my last 12 month cheddar unwrapped ... and there was some seriously weird growths on this as well..
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13721.0.html

Hope that helps..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Kristi

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »
Great, thanks for your replies all.

@OzzieCheese - the cheese smells a little bit mouldy but not in a bad way - more like a blue cheese sort of smell. I think I'll leave it wrapped up for now then and see how we go. I will just age it for 2 months this time and see how it turns out, that way if anything turns out drastically wrong I can modify what I need to before I make too many more!

I'll let you all know how it turned out :)

Thanks

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »
Kristi, don't be surprised if the cheese is not all that great at two months. Cheddars really need time to develop -- I have not been happy with mine until this last one, for which I waited 9 months to open.
-- Andy